1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Transmission Fluid & transmission Filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TomsSnowPlowING, Dec 18, 2011.

1. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Changing Transmission Fluid & transmission Filter every 10,000 miles on a 2004 Chevrolet Truck Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.0L SFI 8cyl WHEN PLOWING SNOW. Is that ok?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Is that a question or a statement?

3. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

I'm gonna take that as a question and I would say that is too often. I know your trani will take some abuse but you have to give the fluid a chance to do its job also. I would look at before every season unless you do heavy hauling during the summer.

4. TomsSnowPlowING

Thanks forgot to put Is that ok?

5. TomsSnowPlowING

From Spring to fall hauling lawn equipment. Mowers, trimmers, bagging attachments hauling grass & leaves .

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's a little soon. I'd do it once a year or 20-25k miles. Which ever comes first.

If you want to change the fluid out some, but not the filter every time, add one of those drains in the pan. I put one in a Dodge I had. Made tranny services much easier and cleaner!

7. TomsSnowPlowING

Just got it in July 2011 had 54,000 miles back then. NOW 66,000 miles. Not sure if it will tell me to change the transmission fluid. LIKE it did to change Engine oil & oil filter. (Just did that 1 time so far. BUT did do 3 oil & oil changes been doing that every 3,000 miles.

8. TomsSnowPlowING

This truck tells me when I am Low on fuel, Low on washer fluid also.

9. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

As a former GM Tech we would recommend to change the fliud around 20,000 mile mark. Any sooner then that and the fluid would not have a chance to set into the clutches, pump, converter, etc. Use a Synthetic Trani Fluid to optimize Fluid Life. Those Tranmissions can take a lot of abuse.

10. meborder

meborder Senior Member

other than spending money that you wouldn't need to, i dont think it is possible to harm anything by changing the oil more often. unless of course you are accident prone and tend to forget bolts back in right, ect.

its like changing your oil every 5000mi vs 3000mi vs every 1500. no harm, especially if you feel the need. not changing it often enough WILL cause harm, changing it too often NEVER will.

my opinion.

11. TomsSnowPlowING

Okay. That way I go.
    ? How do you get the icon picture by your name?

12. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

New fluid constantly in a Trani will not allow the fluid to work. There are certain Detergents that help keep Transmissions clean and operarting normally. Changing it too often is like Pissing Money down the drain!

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd go ahead and change the tranny fluid and filter now. Who knows when it was done last. Then you can get on a schedule.

Go to your profile edit and I think it's profile picture or avatar. Something like that.

14. meborder

meborder Senior Member

I agree that changing it too often is likely to be pissing money away. but how often is too often?

10,000 miles is too often
    but once per year is about right.

My plow truck probably gets 100 miles per year, it's a farm truck and the longest drive it ever gets is 3 miles into town and back.

so .... i can either change it once a year, which is ok,
    or, for me, every 100 years, which is too often.

As for the the fluid "needing time to work" ... i'm not buying it. it begins to work as soon as you add it, otherwise you wouldnt notice the benifits of the fluid change immideatly ... which we do.

mine will probalby get changed once a year before the season starts.
    which will be about 100 miles.

10,000 is fine if the owner so desires.

15. TomsSnowPlowING

So this is better ?
    Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
    That's a little soon. I'd do it once a year or 20-25k miles. Which ever comes first.

Says in book 2004 Silverado Chevrolet /
    Change both the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles UNDER normal operations.
    I do not think plowing snow, hauling grass, leaves, & lawn care equipment is consider normal operations.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Plowing is considered severe use or whatever term they use in the manual. My Dodge Caliber R/T even has a severe use guide.

If I owned your truck, I'd change the filter/fluid now and every 20k miles or once a year (in the fall before the snow starts)

17. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

At the Dealership we would clasify that as a Commercial Application Vehicle and would recommend every 20,000 miles Fluid W/Filter.
    Go talk to your local Chevy Dealer Driveline Technician and ask his opinion.

18. TomsSnowPlowING

Yep per I own the truck.

19. TomsSnowPlowING

If you look hard she had something on the front Before I got her. Plastic under bumper is cut out.

20. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Look like a plow was there or a possibly and front hitch?