1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VThick, Jan 14, 2005.

1. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have heard people changing out half ton t-bars with three quarter t-bars. What are your thoughts on this? Is it possible? My 2000 half ton chevy sits good with the plow up but just I woundering if I could beef it up some more. I tried the timbren route but it only road like a backhoe! So I turned the t-bars up three turns. Whats your thoughts guys?
    Thanks,
    VThick

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

It is no problem to change t-bars, but I doubt if you need to. Every truck I have turned up the bars on were almost all the way out before hand. I find 5 turns for a 6-700 lb plow perfect, and there is still many turns left in the adjuster bolt(at least 5-7 turns)....

3. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

If you do decide to change the torsion bars, investigate how difficult the job is. I am no mechanic, but I rebuilt the front end on my '95 GMC 2500. I was going to replace the lower control arm bushings, which requires removing the torsion bars. I could not get the bars out with the equipment I had. They were locked solid into the lower control arms. I don't know how the pros do it, but you definately would need a lift and probably a heavy duty impact gun to drive them out. Just my 2 cents.

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

They use a lift, a BFH and some heat sometimes. You have to let the tension off of them and drive them out towards the front of the truck....Rob

5. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

i agree with rob BFH lots of heat but on a 2000 you might not need that much i'm lookin at doin this to my Light 2500 my front end Sags like a coupld of old @#$# it y ou know what i mean
    if y ou do change them keep us posted might be good info for us to keep here

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I've been thinking about doing this myself recently.

I may be getting a 1997 Tahoe that I owned about 5 years ago, it's been in the family and I may buy it back again as a winter vehicle/ tower/ hauler/ plower since I now drive a BMW that I'd prefer to keep off the road if it snows.
    Anyway... obviously the Tahoe is a 1500 and I would like to upgrade it to some 2500 stuff to make it more durable if I'm going to plow with it. I was thinking about getting a whole rear axle and springs from a 2500 suburban or pickup. (not sure if lengths are different) and swapping out the torsion bars and maybe the front axle too (at least outers) so I'd be 8 lug all around. I'd REALLY love to go leafs and solid axle up front, but that might be little more than I want to do. :)

We can dream though.

Anyone done it, experiences, recommendations? Ideal donors, etc.
    Any info would be great.

-Jer

7. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

The rear axles shouldbe the same size..... the leafs might be different lengths tho. i know on my old suburban they were shorter then a pick up in some yrs.. but i think when they went to the 88-98 body style they made them all the same... i know oen thing you cant go from a 87 yr truck to a 88 or newer the axle housing on the new chevy's are shorter by 4".. Your best bet in that truck would bt to get the Tortion bars etc. out of a 97 2500 and leafs in back. that would make one killer rig... i have the 6 Bolt light 2500 and mine has a 14bolt rear i'm just adding leafs from a 2500 HD and tortion bars also from a 2500 hd...not till summer tho.. :salute:

8. Downtown_heat

Downtown_heat Junior Member

The torsion bars need to have the tension relieved at the rear crossmember. This can be done with the specific torsion bar removal tool, or a large two-jaw gear puller, which is what I used, and an 18mm socket. I needed no heat, lift, or BFH to remove mine and it only took 2 hours. Really, this is not a very hard task and can be done in the driveway.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

LOL!,I'm doing one now and can promise you there is a huge difference in a Houston,Texas truck and a truck from Salt Central New York:D