1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing the trigger and contract price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkale, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

ok guys here is my question...

I bid a property this year with a 2" Trigger. Worked out a flat year for the season based on 50" average snow falls. After plowing the property 3 times now the customer wants to change it to a 1" trigger. He asked how this would effect his budget. I have been thinking bout this for a couple days and cant help thinking i should double my price...

50" average per season...= 25 plowing. every 2"

50" average per season...= 50 plowing. every 1"

Is my math wrong or do all u guys agree....Please help with ur thoughts.....
  2. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Can you plow 1"? How many other properties do you have? after you plow it once, how long till you can be back? Will there be another 6" dropped by then? Will he be upset because you wern't there during that time?
  3. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

yes we have dedicated equipment just for his location. But yes if its snows 10" he wants plowed 10 times....

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Any reason for changing his mind. Stick to your your original contract.
  5. stotts1

stotts1 Member

your math works for me, if your yearly price is based on a 2" trigger and now he wants 1", that doubles your work, especially if you have dedicated equipment for this property and plow every inch.

btw, what kind of lot is it? sounds like i need about 25 of them!!!!
  6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I have a group of properties like this. Got the bid on seasonal pricing for a 2" trigger. Turns out they really wanted zero tolerance maintenance which I figured but was told to bid at a 2" trigger. Now I'm out about every day monitoring the sites and salting. We worked it out like this. Any storm or service 2" or more is covered under our original contract. If it continues throughout the day and we determine the need for service, it's extra. If we get a dusting less than 2" and we salt, it's extra.
    Not sure if this would work for you but just a thought.
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

we have had 28.4 inches of snow already but there is only about 4-5 on the ground, only plowed twice. alot of snows during the day melt off before they accumulate so there really isnt much to plow.

just cause you guys get 50" doesnt mean you will plow 50 times. i would bet it is more like 10 times for the whole season.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Bump it up 50%
  9. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

What would happen if he wanted to change the trigger to 4"? Would the price change? Just wondering because I am new at this and just trying to learn....
  10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

dude, a lower trigger is just you plowing the property more. If you aren't on a seasonal contract and on a per push bases then I wish all my customers would ask that question.
  11. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

if my original post... I am on a seasonal price contract based on 2" trigger. Now he wants a 1" trigger. He agrees to pay more but doesnt agree to pay double. Although i will be plowing double...
  12. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

that is what my business partner wants to do. Just looking for you thoughts behind this.
  13. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I feel we get alot more 1 inch snows then 2+ snow falls, at least in my area. I would double. I have a feeling this is going to be on of those that at least one or both parties are not going to be happy with whatever happens with the price.
  14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

What about ice melter

Why not consider using some ice melter?
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Thumbs Up See if he will bite on that but I agree 1" atleast 3/4 more of what the contract price is but you don't want to piss him off either so be easy
  16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

You said you have dedicated equipment for him so this is just a bit of extra labor. If you have manpower and equipment just for that, you are plowing continuously if there is 2"+ so it seems like a small difference of how many times you would plow 1" and not have had to plow anyway. 10% premium?
  17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

If its a 24/7 site you'll be plowing more times. If it's an 8-5 site it'll be easier.
    As an example if it snows 3" between 10pm-1am, would you plow it 3 times or once?
    I think a 50% prorated surcharge would be fair.
    Do you get to bill salt by application ?
  18. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

what happens if it's snowing 2" - 3" per hour.... can you get to that property 2-3 times in that hour.... Seems like alot of micro managing that won't work in the real world....:alien:
  19. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I agree along these lines, basicly it depends on the hours of the site, if it's 24/7 then by all means bump it up 100%, but if its 8-5 and you only have to take care of it in the morning, most of the time there will be more than 1" when you service it in the morning. On seasonals that are closed at night and on the weekend, I usually bump up 40% for a change from 2" to 1", as I believe you will find the workload isnt increased that much. but this is just my opinion.
  20. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

also most of my properties are in Merrillville / Lake county area and the seasonal average is 46" over 5 years and 42" over like the last 60 years, and I usually figure between the two.