1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing the oil, again

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by maelawncare, Dec 13, 2007.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I know another thread. But none of the other ones answered my concern. I know you dont have to use the blue stuff. But all the oil i did find wasnt what i was expecting. I got some tractor hydrolic/atf fluid. And it doesnt say on the box what weight it is and it looks just like regular 10w30 to me. Never changed my fluid before so im a little confused on exactly what to get. And it nobody had any sae32 oriellys had sae40 but the guy at the counter said it wouldnt work. What do you guys think?
  2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

I use a 50 weight. In hyd fluild the higher number is thiner. 32 was too slow when the temps dip down. I went to my local petrol supplier, they got a hold of the hyd fluild specs for the plows, so I now use there product in all 3 plows, snoway, blizzard, and snowman. No issues at all.
  3. maelawncare

but i dont have any petrol suppliers other then autozone orielly and american auto supply.
  4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I was told I could use Meyer fluid (easy for me to get - I would use Blizzard fluid but I had the plow for 2 years before there was a local dealer). The right weight and anti-icing agents in it. The only time I had trouble on one plow was when I hadn't changed the fluid from last season. I have 3 810's and have had some of them since 04. I change the fluid every year and no troubles now. Ya, the fluid is a bit expensive and there may be other options but the few dollars I could save with another fluid doesn't cover the risk I take of my plow not working right in the cold. Only takes a couple of liters to change it anyhow.
  5. maelawncare

the problem is nobody sells it. i would have to order it online. which i dont want to do. any other options?
  6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ok, that makes sense.

Do you have any plow dealers nearby? Maybe there are other plow fluids that would be compatible.
  7. maelawncare

NO there are no plow dealers within 100 miles. i drove 400 miles just to get my blizzard.
  8. maelawncare

anybody? is there any fluid off the shelf that will work?
  9. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

You can use trans fluid but not type F. Also Western, Fisher or Meyer blue.
  10. 4speed

4speed Member

I've been using s.a.m. from napa for years. Never had any problems.
  11. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

blizzard fluid

I added aircraft hydraulic fluid in an emergency two years ago and have never had a problem.
  12. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

When you can't find Hyd. oil I have used 1qt. Marvel mystery oil (buy in 1 gal. from Wal-Mart) mixed with 1qt. Dexron (or Super Tech) ATF. Then add 2 teaspoons of HEET for anti icer. This has been in all of my plows to date and the mixture is kind to the whole system. The Marvel oil is very thin and if you need to, you can mix 2 qt. Marvel to 1qt. ATF. The Marvel oil is a superior lubricating oil and not all that expensive. Hope this helps, Al