1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Springs

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RickyGasser, Feb 19, 2011.

1. RickyGasser

RickyGasser Member

I know there is a special tool to change the springs on my mm2 9' straight blade. Is there a way to do it without the tool?
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There is no pressure there I cant imagine why anyone would need a tool or make a big deal of it?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can use a long bar - 3 or 4 feet - and piece of chain. Hook the chain to the upper hole, lay the bar on the top of the blade, and push down. Have some pop a bolt in the second hole.
  5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Someone else posted on here last year that you can preload the spings by just having a pin made up to go across the second hole that stick out past the outside edge of the spring. And then take the spring base; and mount it in a vise and just turn the spring by hand down over the pin . You will need to grab ahold of it with something like a set of visegrips that have a chain on the outside jaw; or even a big Stillson wrench; to get that last turn in half. Once you have them preloaded just slap them up in place and put the bottom bolt thru them and then take long punch and tap the pins out [there is quite a snap when they jump up ] and there you have it. Of course if you have access to a spring compressor well thats even better yet! I have done some with just a pin in the second hole and if you rub abit of grease along the top edge of the spring were you are going to have it bear onto the pin as you spiral it down onto it I can almost get it all the way with just my barehands ............... I have a set of those visegrips with a bike chain for the outside jaw; and try not to chip the paint off them; you can finnish em in just a couple pulls and your done. This works if your alone and dont have 3 hands. Hope you can understand these directions????
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. plowking15

plowking15 Member

We just buy the whole assembly. It is preloaded,you bolt up both ends to the plow,knock out the pin or dowel and it will spring up. The assembly runs about 30-40 dollars. We buy it at a big truck body,truck spring,fisher plow dealer. Even if it costs more,I rather not lose any fingers saving the old one. plowking