1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing rubber to polly edge?

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by Maclawnco, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Wondering if anyone has ever changed your rubber edge pushers into polly edges? How well or poorly did it work? I dont normally run rubber edges but am considering it with an auction that just popped up and thought I might ask you if its doable?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

wonder why they never answered?

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I did for a couple years.

They did scrape better than rubber on hardpack, but they wore faster and tended to tear because they are less flexible.

I went back to rubber.

4. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

Hey guys we did respond but in a direct message. Here is what we said:

Our experience and testing with poly as a cutting edge takes into account consistency, cost and outcome. Just like rubber and maybe even more poly recipes for cutting edges for characteristics of hardness, flexibility vary widely. More importantly depending on the supplier a cutting edges characteristics can change from purchase to purchase. So the first thing is to make sure you are purchasing poly from a reputable brand/supplier. The cost for reputable poly can be 20% to 200% higher than the cost of rubber. The performance characteristics compared to Pro-Tech's rubber does not warrant the spend. When Pro-Tech rubber is set correctly on the Pusher, adjusted when needed our rubber will perform as good if not better than any poly on the market. Our rubber edge pusher products were designed specifically for the characteristics of our rubber specs. The general finding/opinion is that rubber works best in a broader spectrum of conditions (temperature, snow conditions). Poly can outperform rubber only in a narrower spectrum of temperature and snow conditions

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

BTW, I would like to thank you for getting more realistic with your pricing for rubber edges. I had to buy one last year, and I had previously been using aftermarket. But you guys made them reasonable. Thanks!