1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Rotator bulb

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Oct 22, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I bought TWO cheap rotator lights from "Carquest". I paid $36.00 for two. With cig. plug and mag mount. I was wondering..........:rolleyes: if I could change the bulbs out and replace with brighter bulbs? They came with 20w push and turn bulbs (looks like marker light bulbs). Could I put in a 40 or 50 watt bulb?
    Being cheap as usual

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

If they are a cheap as they sound, you will probably melt the socket if you try a larger wattage lamp. If you check online there are lots of places that sell warning lights. For just a little more you could get a good (Federal, Whelen, CodeThree) halogen rotator.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could change the bulb,and it shouldn't melt the socket.I've tried it a few times with those cheap teardrop rotators.They make 55W backup lamps (1156 style) that will work.It won't be too much brighter though,due to the cheap reflector and lens.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Click HERE for some inexpensive rotating lights.

5. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

While we're on the subject, I have a relatively good magnetic mount light that uses two 4"(?) round spotlamps. They say GE 4155 on them. The several auto parts stores and several hardware stores that I've tried have no clue about where to replace them. Anybody have a better idea? :confused:

7. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

Can you give a description of the bulb, size, watts, is it screw in? Can you post a picture?

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

They should use the same lamps as the small rubber tractor lamps.You need a spot though,not a flood like most of the rubber ones come with.I think they are just a PAR 36 sealed beam.Most truck shop have them,as they use them on the mirrors for backup\spot lamps.

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I don't have a picture to post. They have two terminals on the back. I haven't taken the light apart, but you can read what's on the back of the lamps. They are indeed spotlamps. It says so right on them. I hadn't thought of a "truck shop", as opposed to just a plain, old, auto parts store. I'll give that a try next.

Thanks. :)

10. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

You might want to try an outdoor equipment dealer, could it be similar to headlights on a lawn tractor?

11. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Dont use the tractor lamps. They are flood lamps not spot lamps. You MUST use spot lamps in a rotating beacon or the light will appear very dim. Our local county highway department must have got a great deal on flood lamps, they are in all the highway trucks. From a distance you can't hardly tell they are on! Most auto parts stores have, or can get the 12V PAR Spot lamps.