1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Pump shaft seal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I just got my new shaft seal for my E47.(weeping out weep hole) Now how do I remove the old seal and install the new one? Just unscrew the two bolts, lift motor up, look for seal, pop old one out, then install new one replace motor tighten screws ....... all done!!?
    Also do I have to drain the oil to change the seal?
  2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Ha, jonw440, what a coincidence, I'm doing the same thing. :) I was told to really watch out when undoing the motor bolts, that they might be a real problem and could snap. I was lucky they came off without a problem. Now I too am wondering about getting the seal out, do We (I) need to open it up from the bottom as well?
    Email me at
    to compare problems, insights into fixing this one (in the cold 9C below weather):)
  3. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Pump seal change

Pull the pump off the side of the unit and you will see the seal on the inside of the flange, pull the old one out, replace with the new one re-bolt........
  4. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Thanks Foxfire, but I'm not sure it's that easy. Since the seal is flush to the base there is nothing to grab onto to pull it out. Vector6 (thank you for the file:) ) sent me the instructions from the Meyer handbook, they suggested using the appropriate tool. Now I'm not stupid (IMO:) ), but that's a little vague.

One removes the healthy heart for transplant using the appropriate tool. I suspect it might be stainless, and sterilized, but I don't know what it would look like.

I hope the picture is clear. I'm a little frustrated and going from gray to bald. I'll be back to look at it in the morning.
    Thanks so far guys.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Maybe you can use a small pick it looks like a dental pick.
  6. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

It looks like the only way to change the pump seal is to remove the motor. (see picture).See number "48"

7. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Drive in two small sheet metal screws on opposite sides of shaft and then pull on the screws to remove the shaft seal.
  8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

You can take a very small screw driver or a small pick and poke a hole into one of the top corners and carefully pry the seal out of the bore.
    After you get it removed clean the bore out with brake clean or some other solvent, put a very thin film of silicone sealer around the outside of the metal area of the seal and coat the shaft with a little grease.
    Then use a deep socket of a size that covers the outside edge of the seal to install it into the housing.
    Not a bad job to do if you take your time.
    :rolleyes: John.............
  9. windmill

windmill Senior Member

There we go, no I think I can finish the job. I had been thinking of punching a hole into the top edge with an awl and prying it out, but I was worried about damaging the shaft. Two holes on opposite sides should lessen the chances of that. Thanks, I'll let you know if I screwed it up and will be looking for a new pump:), but I think this will work.

How are you making out jonw440? Yes you will have to remove the motor, as I said I had no problem, but you have to be real careful you don't snap the bolts. I guess they are steel whereas it bolts into aluminum. Keep us posted.
  10. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

WIndmill, I havn't had time yet, maybe in the morning. Thanks for the replies guys. I will let you know after I get it changed.
  11. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Punched a self tapping screw into the seal, screwed it in a bit. pilled on it with needle nose pliers and out it came. No problem. Thank you all.:)
    Now on to the next thing that can go wrong.:(