1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Plow Fluid

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jstevens66, Oct 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Whats up guys, I'm actually gonna be changing my plow fluid and just wanted some advice on it. I have a 2012 Fisher SD 7'6'' plow, I change the fluid annually but, I only drain the cannister then fill it up. Should I move the plow manually left to right to get the fluid out of the angle rams or just disconnect the hydraulic hoses? Also, should I take the cannister completely off, clean it, and is there a pick up tube filter I should change or even clean? Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!!!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, remove the angle ram hoses and manually move the blade to drain the rams.
    I would drop the res. There's a filter and a magnet that should be cleaned regularly.
    Your.gunna need more fluid then you usually buy fyi

3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I think I have about a half gallon left, you think that will be enough? Thanks for the prompt reply too!

4. dieselss

I thought they were almost 3 quarts?
    Manual say?

5. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I don't know, I'll check the manual, if needed I'll buy a quart.

6. dieselss

Sounds good

7. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

It says for the cannister its 1 3/4 qts, for the whole system its 2 3/8 - 2 3/4 qts. I think I have a little over 2 qts left in the gallon I have.

8. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Maybe the SD plow will take a little less than the bigger straight blades

9. dieselss

I'd still say get one more for good measures.