1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing out wiper motor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Feb 14, 2007.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Well it's been goin for a while and now it just makes a humming noise. 92 pickup how involved is this? Guess I'm gonna find out.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The motors aren't that hard to change. Remove the wiper's,pull the plastic cowl panel off (it's in 3 separate pieces,remove the 2 ends first) the screw's are recessed down in the plastic so their a little hard to find.If you shine a flashlight down through the "mesh" hole's in it you'll see the screw head's down in there. Their's also screw's along the firewall under the hood seal. The hoses for you washer's will be attached to the under side of the panel so be sure to disconnect the hoses after lifting the panel away for the cowl. Then just reach in the cowl opening and remove the nut and lever from the motor.Take the screw's out that hold the motor to the firewall and remove the motor.

3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

That doesn't sound too bad as long as there isn't anything that needs to be re-adjusted after I put it all back together. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

4. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

It might not be the motor. I've got a 1998 GMC and it could the circuit board and not the motor mine was humming also. After digging on the net I found out tha there was a big problem with the circuit board that controls the wiper motor (bad solder joint it was cracked )

5. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

When I take it apart will I be able to see if the board is cracked?

6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i did my 87 monte pretty simple fix
    take cover off and remove board

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not usually, it's hard to see with the naked eye unless you know exactly where to look (they always seem to fracture in the same spot).

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

9. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Sometimes you can see corosion on the circuit board. Had the same deal on my chev. If you tap on the motor will the wipers start? If so I would say motor...if tapping on the motor doesn't make a difference then may be that circuit. Circuit is 20 bucks or so... not too bad of a job either way. My new motor came with new circuit...so might be worth just buying the whole unit and then you know you are good to go!

10. meathead1134

from MA

depends on your eyes, If I remember correctly there are only a few solder joints. Flip the board over and you should be able to see the bad joint with your eyes. I was able to see my instantly. BTW I got the replacement from car-part.com for like $10.00

11. meathead1134

from MA

12. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Well I changed that motor out today. I took the pulse board off and hit all the solder spots with a hot soldering iron and had the same result when I put it back together. For 58 bucks it was worth doing the whole thing. The worst part was getting all the rusted screws out of that plastic grate. Thanks for all the replies. Now it's on to the rusted clutch hydraulic line and exhaust leak.