1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevytruck85, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I have to change the oil on my new chevy 3500 duramax anybody got any tips for me like amount of oil it holds. and were the filters are. thanks

2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

how about the owners manual.......:dizzy:

3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I am in no way being a smartass. But if you dont know how to find a oil filter and figure out how much oil to use, I think you should watch a few oil changes and study the owners manual.

4. Brothers

Brothers Junior Member
    from Toronto

duramax oily

my truck takes 11 litres ... and i only use baldwin filters

5. jryden145

jryden145 Member

My duramax holds 10 qts and i always use napa gold oil filters and fuels fliters. I use amsoil 15-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter.

J

6. Brothers

Brothers Junior Member
    from Toronto

wow..only 10

is that ten with the filter precharged .. ?? :confused: .. i precharge mine and i use 11

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We use Gm filters in our two gm diesels, we have found talked to people that people have had troubles using other brands of filters on the engines. Maybe it’s all in our heads over here. But we are not the only ones to say the same thing.

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Check out DieselPlace.com for loads of information on this topic. The DMax will take 10 qts with filter. I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine 15W-40. I also use an Amsoil filter. If you have a skidplate it will be in the way of the drain. I suggest folding a piece of aluminum foil into a funnel and guiding the oil directly into the pan so it doesn't drain into the skidplate. Also, a good pair of filter pliers comes in handy with these high pressure filters.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

**** my 6.0 gas job takes 7 quarts with filter