1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing oil

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordf350M, Jan 16, 2016.

1. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Have a year old Western Pro PLUS that I would like to change the oil on. What is the proper procedure to do so ? I would like to get all the oil out of the rams as well.

Thanks ahead of time.
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Western's website has the mechanics guide. Download and save to your computers documents file
  3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Do that and YouTube it. Plenty of Good videos that taught me
  4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Drain the reservoir, clean the screen, flush the rams, then fill. As stated, YouTube or Western has more explicit step-by-step instructions.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

At our shop, if someone wants "the full meal deal" on a multiplex straight blade we:
    -Put the plow in float mode (green light on) and push the lift ram all the way down to send all the fluid back to the reservoir then turn off the plow
    -Drop the lift frame & chain
    -Remove the plastic shroud
    -Drain the fluid from the reservoir
    -Remove the reservoir, inspect and clean the magnet, inspect and clean the sump screen
    -Jack up the A-frame so the cutting edge is off the ground
    -Remove the hoses from the valve body and direct them into a bucket
    -Manually move the blade from one extreme to the other until all the fluid is forced out into your bucket
    -Reconnect hoses & remove the jack
    -Put the reservoir back on (don't forget the magnet) and refill it with plow fluid
    -Leave the shroud off but put back the lift frame & chain
    -Run the plow through all the functions a few times to purge the air and fill all the rams
    -Drop the plow to the floor and recheck the fluid level
    -Run the plow and check the level three times before tightening the vent / filler / dipstick plug.
    -Inspect for leaks
    -Remove the lift frame & chain to re-install the shroud
    -Replace the lift frame & chain being careful to ensure the black plastic wear washers are in place on the pins.

It's pretty much the same for a Wide-out or MVP (+ or 3) except it's a much bigger job to remove the shroud and reservoir to check the magnet so we don't do that unless there are more serious problems.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Thank you. Awesome description.
  7. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Should be getting to this change this weekend. What does the filter get cleaned with? Just some break cleaner ?
  8. mishnick

The name "filter" is ambiguous, it's more of a sump screen. There is no paper element just a wire mesh held together with two plastic ends. I use brake clean and compressed air.
  9. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Did it today. Only think that went wrong was when I first drained the fluid I didn't know it would be under such pressure. It blew out everywhere. Oh well

How much fluid should I expect to change out ? Western pro plus 8 1/2'. A year old. I drained the side Pistons and the lift ram and used a bit over two quarts

10. mishnick

Pressure! That's a good sign that the 5psi valve in your vent plug is working. That's important to keep moisture out of your fluid.
    Volume.. If you purge all the Rams and hoses you need a 4 quart jug.
  11. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

4 quarts !!?? I only took a litte over two quarts out. Reservoir and all Rams and hoses
  12. mishnick

Fluid comes in 1 qt and 4 qt jugs. At our shop it's cheaper to buy the big jug so that's what I recommended but if you want the exact volume here it is:

System Capacity Straight Blade:
    • FloStat® Unit Reservoir ..............1-3/4 quarts
    • FloStat System Total .....2-3/8 to 2-3/4 quarts

So depending on your price, it might be better to get three quart jugs.
  13. fordf350M

fordf350M Junior Member

Oh okay. I bought 3 individual quarts from my local dealer for about $10/qt.
    I will keep an eye on the level after I use it a bit and add accordingly.

Thanks for all your help
  14. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Tranny fluid is compatible and cheaper..
  15. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I agree with Mishnick 100 percent, my trick to filling the pump is to take the vent off and use some long brass pipe with a adapter on top and fill through the vent till the fluid comes out of the fill in the back. This works great when I am repairing on the road.
    Do forget to DIELECTRIC Grease the plugs