1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Hydro fluid on Boos plow question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bry@n, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Hey gang!
    I changed a line that was bad on a friends plow. What is the best way to fill and change the fluid that is left?

It should be almost empty.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Just realized this is in the wrong forum. Sorry.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its the boss forum
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:confused: Remove the drain plug. Thats what I do. lol

Both wings back and raise the plow all of the way up. Put a jack stand under the plow frame supporting it. Remove drain plug. This will get most of the fluid out of the rams. If you think you have air trapped in the system, you could crack open a fitting at the ram and bleed it out.

What fluid are you going to fill it with?
  5. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I figured I would use Boss' Fluid. The plow I am doing this on is a 8'6" straight blade.

I would go with the assumption that there is air in the ram. He ran it over to my house to store it and the line broke on the way. I understand draining it and refilling, but where would I find the relief valve for the air?
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

To bled the air out of the lines,hose,ram. angel the blade all of the way to one side.
    Now loosen the fitting on the ram that is retracted (all of the way in) ( put a drain pan under it and maybe a rag over the fitting) now run the hyd a little and try to swing it the plow the other way a little. The air will be forced out and hyd fluid will start to spray out, stop and tighten the fitting. Repeat with the other ram. Cheek your fluid level often.
    Any small air bubbles will work them selves out if the system by running the plow functions a few times.

Boss fluid will work fine, if it gets really cold where you are or you experience a slow moving plow from the fluid getting thick you might want to look at a hyd fluid with an
    AW 32 rating. It's the blue stuff , a All Weather fluid that is good down to -32.
  7. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Thanks SnoFarmer. I appreciate the tips. I will be doing this over the weekend.

He offered the plow to me for $2800. He says it's a year old and it looks relatively new. Not sure if I will go for it though. I just bought a new Vee so.....

I will fix it and see how it goes.
    Thanks again.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No problem.. :waving:

You need to be able to fix your own equipment if need be.:nod: It's a good ides to have a back up plan. a back up truck or plow is not a bad idea if your going to be a solo operation. I've found if you fix every thing you can and have a back up plan of some kind. you can maintain your accounts and make a few bucks along the way. But, when things go bad. and sooner or later the will. no. no..... stop.... wait ,,,in this business it's all ways sooner! lol.:waving:
  9. lesseik

lesseik Junior Member
    from midwest

8.6 too much plow for the 77 right?
  10. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

fluid change

When assembling a new plow I just fill the reservoir, run the plow up and side to side a few times, drop it and top it off. Lifting the plow will displace some air out of the lift piston, but it will also draw air into the the other side, being a double acting piston, so just leave it on the ground in my book.