1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing hydraulic oil

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Bird57, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Bird57

Bird57 Junior Member

Bought a 2004 760Lt plow recently. Not plow savvy. Want to change the hydraulic oil. No visable drain on reservoir. Manual is no help. Need "help".

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Fully raise plow. Angle fully left. Remove driver side angle hose and run it into a container. Do angle right function until fluid stops coming out of hose. Remove hose for passenger side cylinder from manifold and route into container. Push blade by hand to angle fully to the right. Place a floor jack under the a-frame and raise it until it lifts the plow slightly. Remove hose for base end of lift cylinder from manifold and route into container. Use jack to SLOWLY lower plow to the ground. At this point you can remove the reservoir from the unit if you want to clean it. Otherwise fill the reservoir with fresh low temp hydraulic fluid and perform the detach function to fully lower the draw latch. Then reattach all lines and perform all plow functions until any "sponginess" disappears. Refill hydraulic fluid as needed. Reservoir should be 1" from top when plow is resting on the ground.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Holy crap! That's a lot of hassle to change the plow fluid. Couldn't you just siphon out the reservoir?

4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

without doing the math, I would bet you leave 50% of the fluid in the system by just changing the fliud in the reservoir. double acting lift cyl. has fluid on both sides and the amount of a full angle cyl. is left in the system.
    If I was changing fluid, I would want it all done. but thats just me. (sorta like only draining half your crank case)

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would imagine you would leave some, but 50%? That seems like a lot.

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Not really , you have to remember you are leaving all the oil on the other side of the cylinders in the system if you don't manually drain the cylinders

7. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Having just done the fluid change last week on my 2007 810 PH1, I can tell you the cylinders hold much more than 50% of the fluid.

I followed the instructions at this link: http://www.snowplowforums.com/forums/16-blizzard-snowplows/16079-how-flush-blizzard-plow.html, which are very similar to the instructions above.

I also removed the wings completely, which I have never done before. I cleaned them as best I could. Used compressed air to blow out debris and grit. Then I coated them with Caterpillar Forklift Mast Lubricant, which I get from a friend who gives me his used cans.

8. Bird57

Bird57 Junior Member

Thanks for instructions. Will give it a go"

9. spikes_mn

spikes_mn Junior Member

You'll want to remove the reservoir to clean off the magnet and check the filter. I wouldn't remove any lines if nothing is leaking to avoid problems. If you want you could remove the reservoir and change the fluid, put it and back on and fill it up, cycle through the movements and repeat just to be safe since it is a 2004 then you know it's all good.