1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hankhill, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

I know theres a drain and fill plug on the pump assembly but isnt there fluid in the rams? if so how would I get that out? also I heard from a local he put synthetic ATF in his pump?? I know that western has there own hydraulic fluid but whats the difference between that and say mobil 1 syn ATF? thanks for any help in advance fellas :waving:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

yes there is a drain plug but to get the ram fluid out you have take the hoses couplers off and put plow on the truck and push the plow side to side by hand no electric cause you will burn the pump out push it side to side to side till no more comes out put the couplers back on and fill the pump with fluid with the lift arm down and move it around and keep checking pump fluid till the pump is full and rams are full with fluid and cant take no more fluid.

4. hankhill

hankhill Member

Thanks for your help guys!! no way am I using atf now,so what is the proper way of "flushing" the system? my previous owner was extremely cheap and used atf and I do NOT want to mix western hydraulic fluid, and ATF so a full flush is in order

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Put on your Groucho glasses and sneak into a Meyer dealer for some Hydra-Flush. drain the system, fill with Hydra-Flush, operate a few times then drain and refill. Kerosene will work if you cannot find Hydra-Flush and you can refill with any premiunm plow fluid if you cannot find western fluid, just do not mix them..