1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing hydraulic fluid tips?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by lewdo, Oct 26, 2006.

1. lewdo

lewdo Junior Member

Hey guys. Was wandering if any of you could share any tips on changing hydraulic fluid in my 800. Never done it before and my manual unfortunately doesn't give any details. I searched but couldn't find any info. Any tips much appreciated.
  2. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I am not really sure what the "official" method of removing fluid is but here is what I do...

I disconnect one of the hydraulic lines to one of the angle cylinders and run the control until I pump it all out. Then I hook up the hydraulic line again and refill the tank. It is recommended that you change the fluid once a year. I always do. I had a problem with a Meyer plow once where it froze up on me one night because of moisture build-up. Turn out I never changed the fluid. I do now every year. I would recommend that in the future you do your fluid change in the spring instead of the fall. Unless someone knows differently, logic tells me that if the point of changing the fluid is to get rid of moisture, I don't want moisture sitting in my pump all summer. So I change my fluid in the spring and then everything is coated in fresh fluid and come fall, you hook it on to your truck and start billing people.
  3. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

Changing fluid

we usually use a fluid evacuator that sucks the fluid out of the reservoir. refill and run all functions and repeat three times. If you do this annually you'll be fine. if there is moisture in the fluid already you'll want to disassemble the reservoir and dip the screen in fresh fluid and flush the complete system. use blizzard fluid.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Anything special about the Blizzard fluid? Or is it just relabeled overpriced hydraulic oil? How much does Blizzard oil cost, I havent had a chance to get to the dealer lately.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, it's expensive. I use it though. They told me I could use Meyer fluid (shich is more readily available to me). Basically, the plow company fluid has some anticing agent in there among other things so that the fluid does not thicken at low temperatures. Years ago I tried using the wrong fluid in a plow and it stopped working because it got too cold. Man do you feel stupid out there in the middle of the night with a trucka nd a plow that can't make money because you tried to save a few dollars on the fluid. Lesson learned. Will the plow work with light hydraulic fluid? Likely, but I don't know. To me it isn't worth the risk.
  6. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Hummm... I have never changed the fluid in my Western that I have had about 20 yrs. (I bought it used for $150 & got the 62 Chevy 1/2 ton free) Use nothing but Generic type F ATF from the dollar store and NEVER had a problem related to fluid. My transmission has never frozen up either.
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I change my fluid both at the end of a season and the beginning also. Pumps have vents thus even in the summer humid air is getting into your fluid. Always use the specific fluid that your pump requires. Yes using a substitute fluid might work but you will really kick yourself if you explode your pump cause you went the cheep route.

An old timer once told me " Oil is cheaper the metal"
  8. starc

starc Senior Member

Never changed mine either, never had a problem in more than 10 years. I will check the level and add if necessary. The system is just your basic hydraulic system, special oils are not required other than you need to use hydraulic oil. Because its being used in the winter, SAE32 is a great viscosity to use.
  9. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I can understand that, I'll bet your plow cost more then mine did. If I used the $20/yr you invested for fluid changes all these yrs in more plows, I could have had a couple plows & made $$$ selling the trucks.
  10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I bought my truck with the plow already attached and I only have $3000 invested. I am a maintence freak. I always change my engine oil at or before 3000 miles. If it looks like it might break it gets fixed. Is 20 bucks a year in fluid gonna make a big difference to my pocket? (more like 6 or 7 bucks a year in fluid) Prob not, but at 2 in the morn I have to make calls to my buddies to come and help me short chain my moldboard because I chose not to change my fluid would prob get my attention. Do what you wish Im just not that way.

Not long ago I had a lady alway insist to me that she didnt need to change her oil in her minivan more then once a year. Well needless to say she blew the dam thing up and tried to blame me for her misfortune.

When it comes to brass tacks if you dont mind taking a chance that you may need to thaw your pump out, then by all meens dont change your fluid.
  11. LD4850

LD4850 Member

I never even heard of changing the fluid or using anything other then ATF until the last 10 yrs or so. But I have only been plowing since the mid 60's so I don't really know how yet.
  12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

[begin sarcasm]
    So I guess in the mid 60s nobody plowed when cold out due to the fact that these "miracle snow plow fluids" did not exist at the time?
    [end sarcasm]
  13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It would be my guess but back in the mid 60's Ill bet the fluid of choice was ATF. Do what you want I use the factory required fluid...Rob
  14. lubricity

lubricity Member

It always amazes me what comes out of the mouth's of babes.
    we live in a different world today. Everyone wants CHEAP. And that is what you get today. Saw blades that last for a dozen cuts instead of a 100. Oil and greases are not what they used to be. The normal oil is CHEAP, quality that is. Like some of the problems mentioned above. Oil sucks up moisture then freezes. Without really delving into a lesson. A good oil sheds the water.
    I can tell 35 years of stories. That is the past.
    Service your plow. 2 quarts of oil a year per plow is cheap insurance.