1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing hide-a-way power supply wattage.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Mark13, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My friend has a 60 watt nova power supply for his hide-a-way strobes. If he has his headlights on you can barelly see his front amber strobes in his turn signals. He would like to switch to a 90 watt power supply to make them brighter. Are the wires and bulbs the same between the 60 and 90 watt kits and does he have to stay with nova or can he go with whelen if he wants?

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Just throw in a new Whelen 90W supply, and the only thing you may have to rewire is the power and activation feeds.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, that's what we were hoping. The connectors on the nova wires will go onto the whelen power supply I'm assuming?

4. BlueLine Ent

They should.

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

lemme knwo via pm what he wants to do with the nova

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

would this be about the truck I think it is about???

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, if he does the swap he probably will hold on to it though for a backup power supply. Or we will make some creative electronic thingy out of it.

I'm not sure, which truck are you thinking about. :D

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I think you know...... :jester:lol

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I probably do. We made this discovery the other night while he was chasing me in my truck home from Hebron and turned his strobes on and I couldn't see them until he was about 20ft behind me. Dumb headlights are way to bright, or the strobes are way to dim.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. Dissociative

90 watt won;t make that big a diff......we can get a beer and i'll let him try mine before he buys..

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He has amber tubes in the front, would clear be brighter? He isn't 100% set on messing with them yet since he wants to get rid of the chip in his truck and get a tuner.

Dissociative, I know you a psd guy, what's good for a 02 7.3? He's looking at edge right now.

12. BlueLine Ent

Def change the amber to clear, thats half of the problem. The 90 with clear bulbs would make a huge difference.

13. Dissociative

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

90 watts WILL make a big difference. The 60 watters are worthless in direct sun light. I have a 90watt power suppply if you need one. It will be plug and play for you.

15. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i have the amber and clear in the front.. the clear is alot brighter these are hooked to a whelen 90W
    i posted up some videos a while back http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=64011
    that will show the difference between the amber and the clear at night
    - Kyle

16. Dissociative

like i said,.....i will show him...my 60 watts are just fine in sunlight...same as 90 watts...on helix tubes it's barley noticeable...5 watts per head..that's it

i ran 660 side by side with 690......have you?..

17. ColliganLands

no i only run 90w and so does everyone i know including the cruisers but i will take your word for it. i was just showing a comparisson between the clear and the amber

18. Dissociative

sorry...was aimed at the previous post...not you

19. ColliganLands

o..i was like o crap i pissed you off......
    its 12:15 here and it rained another whole friggin day = im really tired and have alot of crap to do tomorrow lol

20. Dissociative

nobody pisses me off....i like all you guys...lol