1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing GVW on a 3500....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pumpman26, May 4, 2005.

1. pumpman26

pumpman26 Junior Member

I am deciding on a new truck for my business and am not a huge fan of the new 6.0 that ford has put out, however I need a truck with about 14,000 GVW and I didn't know if it was possible to buy a new GMC or Chevy 3500 and make modifications to make it a higher GVW. I know Chevy makes a larger truck, but I need the smaller chassis for what I am planning on doing with it. Has anybody done this before????

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Possible - probably
    Practical - not really
    Warranty - :nono:

Why are you against going up to the 4500? You get the same engine/trans options as the 3500. The frame height is comparable and the wheelbase is shorter if anything (for the same CA dimension). You get heavier axles and might even get a tighter turning radius. The only things "bigger" are the things you already want bigger anyway.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You forgot one thing, wfd. Legally. Your truck will always be rated a 3500 by the sticker on the door. No matter what anybody does to a truck to beef it up, it will always be limited to the manufacturer's GVWR.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You could do things to make any truck handle a load but YOU CANT CHANGE WHAT IT IS SPECED FOR!

Go check out a 4500 and a 5500. They use a duramax allison combo just like the 3500 but with some different programing.

5. pumpman26

pumpman26 Junior Member

Can't use the 4500..

I can't use the 4500 because I am putting a crane on the truck which goes over the cab and with the 4500 the cab height is much higher....Thats my dillema...

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I guess your SOL, then. Or you can do like a lot of contractors and run it illegally until you get caught. Of course, you'd be in for some big fines or a nice lawsuit or both if you get in a wreck and injure\kill someone.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Any way you could go longer wheel base or something and not have it go over the cab? You are pretty well screwed. Is a ford 650 too big fisicly? I duno how the compare but you can get a CAT in them I believe.

What about getting a 5500 and slamming it? putting some cool man dubs on it. That would be sweet yo :D