1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing from cable to strap

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by skidoo, Feb 27, 2010.

1. skidoo

skidoo Member

Looking for ideas for replacing the cable on a winch to using a the original strap. I replaced mine using 2 muffler clamps and a 1/4" bolt cut just wide enough to fit in the drum. Works OK but narrows up the drum so the strap just fits. Thinking about drilling 2 holes through drum and making a square ubolt. Anyone have a better way of mounting strap. The original set up doesnt fit drum size
  2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Did it work? If so could you post a pic? Thanks
  3. skidoo

skidoo Member

My set up seems to work but haven't got a chance to really use it. I hooked it up at the end of the season did one plow with it. Here is a picture. Has anyone done anything different to get rid of cable and use strap?

4. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Thanks for the pic.
  5. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I don't have a cable winch, rather I have an older SNOWBEAR plow and it's outfitted with a length of chain. It works just great for me. You might want to consider that route.......

6. champlainl

champlainl Member

chain is indectructable

I have one on my snowbear and it works flawless,just my 2 cents
  7. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

I have a chain on mine. The guy I bought it from did the modifications. The chain is heavier then factory ones. Shouldn't be too hard to make one similar.

I installed the rubber shield on the winch motor to keep some of the moisture out of winch.