1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LJC Lawncare, Jan 2, 2009.

1. LJC Lawncare

LJC Lawncare Junior Member

When I went leave for work this morning, my western plow wanted to stay home b/c it wouldn't lift. It would only make the noise as if it was lifting but it wasn't. It wouldn't turn left or right either. As I struggled with a jack to get it up in the air for about a 1/2 hour so I could chain it, it decided to work. I just was plowing with it on New years eve and it was just fine. But it got very cold on new years ( 5 degree's) and I haven't started the truck until today. There is ATF in it right now, but I'm thinking of switching to hydraulic fluid. what do I do?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. musicars

musicars Junior Member

Mine freezes up all the time, even after doing a complete fluid change. Warm it up the main unit first by bringing it inside or using a heat gun to see if it is frozen. If it starts moving after thawing then you probably have moisture in the fluid. It can get in through bad seals, pitted ram plungers (that's my problem), and condensation from sitting during the summer. If that's the case drain everything completely and refill. Fluid should be changed right before every plowing season although some seem to be able to go year after year on the same fluid. There are a bunch of posts on this site regarding fluid type and which works better but any fluid can get moisture in it and freeze. The fluid itself is seldom is the problem.
  3. morgan forest

morgan forest Junior Member

try adding a little dry gas in with the new fluid it helps prevent that freeze up. also when u change fluid disconect the hoses and manualy angle the blade, this will insure that u get all the old fluid out.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drain the entire system (including hoses and angle rams) flush with Meyer Hydra-Flush (don't worry it will work in a Western:D) then re-fill with a premium plow fluid.
  5. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Question about condensation over the summer... Sorry if this is a hijack - but it goes with the original topic...

Why not fill the oil reservoir to the top in the summer. To remove the excess, just take the cap off, angle the plow by hand until the excess is lost. Wouldn't that keep any water from condensing inside the system?
  6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I know you from other forums. :waving:

And yes, that would work, my uni-mount has a fill-level plug on the side. Just pull that until the fluid drains to that level and you're set for the winter. However!!!! Hydrolic fluids expand quite a bit with tempature and you may get hosed even when pulling the fill plug. ( I did last friday and it sucked butt)
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009