1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing fluid?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by pale rider, Jan 2, 2008.

1. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

What is the best way to do this. I have a E-47 Electro Touch. do i just remove the drain plug on the bottom (with ram in the up/out position)? read to take plow and hoses off and move rams side to side to get fluid out? Plow was working fine then sub 0 temps hit. pretty sure fluid hasn't been changed in at least 5 years.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

pale, do a search here in the Meyer forums.

Use search keywords like "flush" "drain" or "filters"...you'll find lots of info on this subject.

3. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

5 years, wow. it probably froze up. drain fluid, clean filters, purge rams. refill with new fluid, not atf. if you have spare hose fittings, you can just slip those in instead of removing hoses. ram should be down. then change fluid every year and you'll have no problems.

4. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

ok, just got a chance to look at everything. couldn't find specifics on E-47 on Meyer web site. PROBLEMS

Took both filters out and one was acutally broke off inside and other was about too.

Didn't find a drain plug so i am assuming i will have to take pump completly off to drain?

Who/Where is the best place to purchase Meyer parts over line as i live 75 miles from the nearest Myere dealer. will be contacting him monday to see about part priceing.

Any specifics on draing this thing would be ABSOULTLY WONDERFUL as it seems everyone has there own way. If new hoses aren't expensive may purchase new as mine show there age.

Thanks for advice

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your pump doesn't have a drain plug (early ones didn't) you'll want to go ahead and remove the pump and dump it out through the fill hole. Pour a little new fluid in and slosh it around and dump it again... this will help to get some of the crud/debris out of the bottom. Here a link to the Angelos page with the specific E47 manual that you can look through to familiarize yourself with it.

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/Catalog/tabid/65/Default.aspx

6. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

O.K. It didn't look pretty.....took hoses off cylinders, raised blade and moved back and forth to get fluid out, and man i about died. Nothing but gray/white fluid, didn't even resemble hdy. fluid. I know i haven't changed it in the 4 years i've had the plow(didn't know any better). Took the pump off and drained same fluid came pouring out bottom 1/4 looked more like Hyd. fluid. Waiting for my Meyers Hdy. flush to come so i can give it a real good cleaning.

Do you think i should replace the seals or other before next season or do some other preventive maintanence? When should you usually replace seals only if leaking?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it looked that bad, and this is a plow you need to depend on, you'd be better off in the long run to go ahead and tear it down for a good cleaning/inspection and seal replacement now. You will be surprised at the crud in the bottom of the sump, and a tear down is the only way to guarantee you'll get it all out. :nod:

Remove and flush the cylinders as well..

I

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

In my opinion, if the plow pump is not leaking and it functions fine after the flush and fill, I would not re-seal it at this time, continue running it til the end of the season. When the season ends I would do as other's have said send it to a good plow shop, like Jerre's or Smith Bros, or Angelo's and have them go through a full cleaning inspection and possibly a rebuild. I have found with Meyers pumps that are not maintained is the moisture in dirty or contaminated fluid corrodes the lift cylinder and lift cylinder and that's when you problems begin.

Another suggestion would be if this is your only plow, get a used back up pump and send it out for a total rebuild, when it's done test it to be sure its working then put it on a shelf, so it will be there when you need it, JMHO

Good Luck

9. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

Got the Meyers flush from Angelos today. Must Give them credit, fast service at a good price will be purchasing from them again "Thanks". Drain/filter fittings i ordered wouldn't fit, they were bigger than the ones i took off, glad i ordered the seprate filters! Put the flush in today and worked the plow per instructions. I am letting it sit for 24 hrs letting the solution help break up anything then draining again.

1) there are 2 fittings on the front(E-47) both had filters on them(or inside one fell off), is one of these the drain fitting? i removed the complet pump and drained out of the fill hole. When I put back on and was putting the new filters on i pulled the ram up a little and noticed it drew in air. so i moved it up and down a little more and thought maybe this thing does have a drain fitting?????? Should the ram be all the way in or out when draining? "Fully retracted" kind of confused me

2) How complicated is it take this thing apart for cleaning. Will wait till summer to do this or have done. I only use this on my drive and with any luck will only have to use it 4-6 times. When i do need it i need it

10. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

How complicated is the tear down and seal replacement? How long do you think it would take first time? What parts should i replace, i have saw the complete seal replacement kit?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it only has 2 plugs then yours isn't equipped with a drain (many of the older ones weren't) If it had a drain, it would have three plugs on the front.

You want the ram all the way down inside the pump unit in order to get as much fluid out as possible. But since your going to be cycling it with the Hydra flush in it I wouldn't worry about the little bit of fluid that might still be in the ram.

Depends on how much mechanical skill you have pale. The E47's have over 40 seals, Teflon rings and rubber O-rings just in the basic seal kit for them, and to do a full disassemble and clean you need to tear it down to every last component.. and then re check the pump output pressure and set it to spec after it's assembled. So if you'd feel comfortable with it, by all means give it a try. But if your not up to it you might want to have a local shop do it for you.

12. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

O.K. just finished up with flush. Do you fill and drain again to get any of the flush out?
    Everything seems to be working great, will just have to wait till it gets in the teens again to see if i still have the same problems, don't think i will though.

Thanks for Everything
    PR

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If their really bad to begin with, after the initial flush and fill, I'll run them one storm, and then drain and refill again one last time for preventative measure...