1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kingriver, Oct 25, 2005.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

every year we get gouged 125.00 to have the fluid changed in our plows,, thats each--they call it a (flush & adjust) apparently they are suppose to make sure all the bolts are tight--last year when it went out on its first plow we had one bolt that was completly missing, and that caused the weld to break,, if anyone could tell me how to change my own fluid that would be great--I would save 400.00 and this time of year thats LOTS.....

THANKS
    kingriver

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you are in Juneau I could show you. Tell your dealer you want a maintance manual and it will show you. Do you know what brand of plow you have? they are all different.

3. TomCappa

TomCappa Junior Member

Every year I bleed the hoses, drain the angling arms by disconnecting the fittings from both sides and rock the A-Frame from side to side...this gets the fluid out of the angling arm housing. I then take the motor off the base and I use a wet vac to suck all the fluid out. I then use a LINT-LESS cloth to get any remaining sludge out of the housing. Some people I know use power steering fluid, but I suggest NOT taking the easy way out... spend the extra money and get hydraulic fluid, breaks down a lot less easier and this is the fluid that your plow was meant to work on. You do not have to do this next part unless it is damaged but I do because I am anal this way...I change the suction filter every year....thats just me and how I do a fluid change. Been doing it for years like this and everything is fine and my Western is an oldie...a 1977 model with a t-bar controller :eek: ...lol....but she works GREAT!!!

Tom

PS- ALSO, any part of your Western that requires grease...check it out and make sure everything is ok...this is also the time to inspect ANY AND ALL gaskets...once water gets in there, man, you have some problems...trust me, been there done that!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  4. genrock

genrock Member

The last post is about all you should be doing.
    To change the fluid first remove the drain plug most westerns they are on the bottom and may be a squared type head. Remove the motor and check your suction screen you may choose to replace if damaged if not just clean it with gasoline diesel or kerosene and replace. Any residual oil left in the unit suck it out with a shopvac or mop it up with a rag. Remove the fill plug located on top of the unit usually right near the motor seal area. Remove the check plug if your unit comes with one located on the front of the unit usually a smaller squared head bolt and fill until the hydraulic fluid comes out of the check plug. Once thats done you need to bleed your angle hoses by having someone open up the quick connect while you angle when your sure your pistons have had clean oil blead into them and the old removed refill the housing and your all set.

I do not recommend using atf however some find it cheaper. ATF will degrade your seals causing problems down the road. Whatever you do, DO NOT mix oils.

If you replace any bolts always use 8 grade hd bolts the strength of the bolt is a must. I had a western blow the head off a bolt on the connecting bracket before because the bolt was not hardened.

O rings and seals can be coated with a light coat of vaseline to keep them supple. I would never pay anyone for this type of service. If your a busy man teach one of your employees how to do it.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, we can add....this will cost you about one hour (if that) and about 10 bucks. So, by saving $115 bucks, you also get the satisfaction of knowing it was done right. Actually, there is a really cool trick to draining and repurging those angle hoses. It involves laying the plow up on end, and a coffee can with o hole the size of a hose cut into the lid.

6. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

My Western recommends Western Fl. or ATF III fluid. There wasn't any Western Fl. around here so I bought some ATF. It shouldn't be a problem if Western says it's ok.

7. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

My manual did't give any info on pulling the pump or cleaning filter. It just said if you take the pump apart you should check the filter. Not very helpful at all. I'm sure I could figure it out but it would be nice to have some instructions on pulling the pump and where the filter is.