1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing fluid this year, where to buy in IL

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by obrut, Sep 2, 2009.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I live in Lemont IL, anyone around this area know where I can buy some fluid for my plow for a decent price?

Tim

2. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

usually you can just get ATF fluid from napa for a cheap price, and that will work for your plow. But if want actual fluid made for plows i have some. I sell it for $16 +tax a gallon. located in naperville, if your interested

3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

What brand fluid is it?

4. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

it is fisher's ez flow hydraulic fluid, this is same exact same fluid as western's high performance hydraulic fluid because they are both owned by the parent company douglas dynamics.

5. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

dont use ATF......im told that you should and always use western (or fisher) fluid for your plow...the company that used to service my plow used to use ATF and they changed to western fluid cuz they were having too many problems.

6. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

Really, what kind of problems? I have been running ATF in my fishers that are 10+ years old and have yet to have any kind of problems.

7. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

CPW central parts warehouse....191st about a mile west of harlem. on the south side of the street blue building

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

CPW and Tim Wallace are both pretty close to you. Speaking of which, where in Lomont are you? My parents live on Bluff Rd. Anyway. I have always used ATF in my plows with no problems. I just buy the cheap stuff from wherever and it works fine. Oh, and where are you Snow Miser? I also live and plow in/for Naperville.

9. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

I work for Steve Miller, Inc. just off of route 59

10. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Ha. I went to school with little Steve Miller. Anything open over there?

11. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

Yeah, steve is my older brother. And yeah were always looking for operators and subs for winter.

12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Put me down. Tell him Pat Berry said hi.

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Obrut,

Glad your changing the fluid this year, you should be doing it every year. Just dont go changing it yet, wait until sometime between halloween and thanksgiving before you do it. Less chance of condensation build up in the pump with the temperature changes we get before it starts snowing.

14. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks guy, I was just looking for something close. The fluid in there is two seasons old, I just didn't have time to do it last year. I don't want to run the ATF, some don't seem to have luck with it. I was thinking of changing it out at the end of October but I just wanted to get it now. I've been to CPW a few times for some parts and I have no complaints with them, its just a little far for some fluid.

I can't wait for the season to start, I miss the extra money.

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a NorthernTool near by ???

16. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Tim Wallace is right at Weber and Boughton.

17. do not use atf, it is not a very good hydraulic fluid (thats why its transmission fluid) it has a lot of detergents that can attack seals\hoses and does not perform well in extreme cold. for the few dollars your saving vs the proper fluid If only one out of four guys has issues why risk it. Most decent equipment dealers can get you low viscosity(low temperature) hydraulic fluid for almost the same price of atf if you find oem oil to much $$$. orbut this post isn't so much for you but others that come across it asking the same question.

Condition of oil(age, sludge, grit etc) and water content are one of the main causes of wear and damage in hydraulic circuits(overheating being the other) which is what your plow is.