1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing cutting edge angle on Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carlriv2, Jan 23, 2004.

1. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I am not sure if I can explain this correctly, but help me out if someone has done this or thinks it will work well.

Several years ago I had a Fisher plow that was loosing the trip springs. The guy that was doing my welding welded a 1" by 1/4 bar in between the base angle and the moldboard. This in essence compressed the trip springs slightly and made them extended above the upper bracket so they would not fall out.

Now to get to my question...

I have an X-blade and its base angle sits almost vertical. This plow scrapes and back drags extremely well, and trips on Cape Cod berms very well. I also have several MD plows the base angle on these is at 45 degrees (guessing). What would you think about welding a 1/4" or 3/8" bar in between the base angle and moldboard of these plows, again to compress the springs, and slightly trip the blade to increase that angle to maybe 70 or 75 degrees?

Will that improve the scraping, back dragging, and the ease that the blade trips on things like Cape Cod Berms.

I already have the plow mounted in the lowest hole to raise the a frame up to the steepest angle it can be at.

Would this work for the V plows?

Thanks for your thoughts...

2. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 8' HD blade. There is a place that sells a hydraulic kit that allows you to 'trip' the blade so that it will scrape better. Think the place is Maher welding, but the kit goes for about $1,000. Basically the same idea,

Curious if anyone has tried it the kit or the just added some steeel to change the edge angle
  3. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I am looking for people who have done this, or just opinions, as to if it makes sense.

I know most of you have opinions.

4. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Posting picture...... will it work?

I pulled back the cutting edge, and inserted a 3/8 x 3/4 bar in between the edge and moldboard.

It may not look like much in the picture, but it looks significant in person. The edge is much closer to vertical than it used to be.

Hopefully it will help with scraping, and back draging. If not I just have to grind off a dozen welds and I am out $10.

Has anyone else done this?

plow jpeg.jpg
  5. Grant

Grant Member

I have used angle iron on a few Fishers to decrease the angle. Works well, especially on older, 'experienced' plows that tend to really lay down and grind the bottoms of the spring brackets off before half of the cutting edge is used up. So far this year I have picked up 2 Fisher springs out of snowbanks that were ground off!
  6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Let us know how it works ! I love my fishers when plowing forward, but the backdragging is sad. If it works maybe i'll try it too!
  7. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Well it was 3" of light fluffy snow,but the plow has never scraped or back dragged so well before.

The true test will be when we get some wet stuff.

We even had the filling loosening scraping sound once in a while that we get from the X-blade..... Nice, but we could not put up with it all the time.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I basically did the same thing to my old fisher, and it worked for a while. The problem ended up being the hinge assembly was worn and then ended up breaking. I would disassemble the trip edge and inspect for wear.... Chuck
  9. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Certain it is not wear..... It has been like this since new.... as well as 3 others....... I have replaced all pins, and the only real worn parts were the "heads" of the pins on the outside edges of the plows.

10. kjett

kjett Junior Member

before you did the spacer thing, did your fisher plow seem to just skim over the surface when you were plowing and not dig in? I am in the same boat and need to get this fixed asap. My pins and brackets seem to be normal and not excessively worn.

11. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Yes that was the problem, just did not scrape well. Backdragging it did a fantastic job of flattening the snow.

Like I said though the wet snow will be the test.