1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

changing carb to a t.b.i or tuned port injection

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VMAX, Aug 16, 2002.

1. VMAX

VMAX Junior Member

i have a `86 gmc 4+4 im replacing the engine with a new gm long block 350. truck has a 700r trans.
    my question is how do i go about putting a tbi on my truck engine?do i need a computer for the tbi?
    is also possible to put a tuned port injection on this engine and what is involved to put this on?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The easiest way to convert is to find a donor vehicle and swap all the parts, it gets cost prohibitive otherwise. Holley and Edlbrock both make aftermarket kits to convert from a carb to EFI, this is an option too. Each type of injection system has its own unique computer and harness.

I looked into converting my TBI 454 to port injected and it's too big a project to make sense on my truck. Not only would I need the manifold & injectors, but also the harness, computer and related sensors as well. A major undertaking for a work truck.

3. 1500HD

1500HD Junior Member

You'd need all the sensors, wiring harness, computer, and fuel delivery system (in tank pump, fuel sender unit, etc.) If you've really gotta have EFI, either find a cheap but COMPLETE donor truck, or go aftermarket. The first choice is a lot of work, the second is expensive, around $1800 I believe.