1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Boss Hydraulic on a V Blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sawtooth, Oct 15, 2016.

1. sawtooth

sawtooth Junior Member

I just changed the hydraulic fluid on my Boss V blade and contrary to the UTube it took all 2 qts and still needs some more. It didn't leak out.

Maybe an aside....Last year I replaced the filler elbow which was cracked by some debris. I used a pvc elbow with threads on both ends and put a threaded plug in it. It has been working fine...

I just read somewhere that the factory cap "breathes" so after filling with new fluid I left my homemade cap a little loose when I went through the 12 rounds of lifting/extending the wings to get the air out of the lines.

The questions are...should I figure that my lines were not completely filled.....just add some more fluid and do I need the factory cap?

Thanks, Michael
  2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Get the factory cap and continue checking you fluid level. You risk blowing the cap off the tank by not allowing it to breathe or worse yet blow the o rink that seals the tank.
  3. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

#1, You are correct that despite what youtube tells you, you can need up to 3.5 qts if you drain all your lines and cylinders.

#2, the elbow on the side is not the cap that breathes; there is a vented breather cap on the top of the reservoir behind the plastic cover on the tower. Your DIY elbow should be fine.

#3, Run through all the functions (though it sounds like you already did) and remove the cap on your elbow. If there is fluid still visible in the bottom of the elbow, you should be OK. If not, or if it suddenly stops moving and the motor changes pitch to a high pitched whine, then it is still low. Most people tend to overfill it. Don't try and make fluid overflow from the elbow.

If you over fill it, normally it will just shed the excess fluid through that vented cap inside and you'll see the fluid leak out the bottom of that plastic cover. If you WAY over fill it, the sudden rush of fluid back into the tank can cause the breather cap to blow right off the top of the tank.
  4. sawtooth

sawtooth Junior Member

Thank you for that level of detail. When I went looking to by the cap I found the 90 deg filler/cap and the breather...was about to ask what was up when I saw your reply. I will fill some more and check that the breather is in good shape. Thanks again. M