1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing BOSS Hydraulic Fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BOSS_JG, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

"How to correctly aim your snow plow lights"
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plain and simple.I might even try it!:)
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice video, How about mount install, or maintenance on older boss plows
  5. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Good to know that when I just did all my plows recently that I did it the right way! Maybe do a video to expand on this one and cover some other yearly maintenance items that people might forget about!
  6. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Maybe changing a line or spring (I know they are pretty straightforward, but the fluid change isnt exactly rocket science either) might be good for new guys to watch so they know what to do when its 4am and they are stuck with a limp plow.

Love the videos, got bored and watched all of them last night lol especially the V-XT ones cant wait to try mine out this year!
  7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

they have one on thier youtube account
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I try and mount them so the light is pointed forward and not backwards.Thumbs Up
  9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I did this today on my older rt3 9' straight blade. however my fill cap is under the cover and I was unsure how much to add. after cycling the plow I added more fluid and closed it up, cycled it, and it pumped out of the cap. Looking in, it seems to have dropped the fluid level about a half inch from the top. Is this where it should be on this style fill? Can the cap be bad? Its annoying to put the cover on and off so I want to make sure I'm good to go.
  10. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

Yes, that would be about the correct level. Rt3 plows take about 2.5 quarts when they are brand new and about 2 quarts after you have drained the fluid out of the resevoir to fill it back up. Being that there is fluid already in your lines and valve block.
  11. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Well I replaced a ram and a hose So it took around 2, then pumped some out all over my garage floor haha. Do I need to worry about the fluid getting hot, expanding, and pumping out more if we ever get some plowable snow?
  12. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

It shouldnt loose much more. The fluid stays pretty cool during operation in a snow storm. You should be good to go.
  13. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Personally I feel you should flush the rams also. Disconnect the lines from the manifold for the angle cylinders and put the ends in a bucket. Jack the plow in the center and push left and right to push the fluid out.This also helps you check for bent parts. After I fill the , because the fill tube suck to see in, I turn the fill pointing down and lt the excess run out.