1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing antifreeze in the wife's car.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Barkleymut, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut PlowSite Veteran

I was changing / flushing out the cooling system in my wife's Explorer yesterday. I did all the necessary stuff. I had the garden hose filling up the radiator and some water got on some of the belts. I jumped in the drivers seat and pushed down on the accelerator some (about 2500-3000 RPMs) just to heat up the coolant a little faster and to open up the thermostat so i could clean out the entire system. When I pushed on the accelerator I heard a pretty bad screeching from the engine. My question is Did I damage the water pump? Or was this just from the belts being wet? I drove it about 15 miles afterwards and everything seemed to be just fine. I just need some of you mechanics to say "It is nothing, don't worry" Otherwise my wife will never let me work on our cars again and I will be forced to take them to some 17 year old mechanic who knows less than I do.

BTW- I drive a Chevy truck and know that this group is much more knowledgeable than those ford guys. Thats why I posted it here!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is nothing, don't worry.

There you go.

It probably was just water or coolant on the belts,and once it drys up the noise is gone.

3. Barkleymut

Thanks Wyldman, I needed that. I figured it was just the water on the belts.

Anyone else? I really need that comfortable feeling from all the "experts" out there.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,heres what the three other class "A" mechanics,or "experts" in the shop had to say about it.

That make you feel any better ? LOL

5. Barkleymut

That is what I figured wyldman, I am sure it was nothing as I drove it home (15 miles and had no problems). But I am worried because my wife will tell me I'm a moron and can't even do the routine maintenace on her SUV. If the other guys in the shop said it was nothing then I feel much better. Thanks again.

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just the belt slipping

but what did you do with the old antifreeze
    let it go down the sewer or catch it and take it be recycled

remember what you dump down the drain today you end up drinking later

cardoctor:nono: :nono:

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Not for nothing, but if he did dump it down the drain, he is not gonna admit to it. LOL. :D Mike

8. CARDOCTOR

maybe next time he ll feel a little guilty

cardoctor

PROUD OWNER OF BIG YELLOW PLOW ( myer):gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Proud owner of big yellow plow?? LOL. Thats funny, I didnt know you owned Fisher plows. :confused: Mike :D

10. Barkleymut

I did catch all of the antifreeze in the wife's car from the radiator. Then I put the hose into the opening of the radiator and let the truck run for a while. I did not catch the liquid from this because it would have been at least 10 gallons. I'm sure some antifreeze hit the ground but the local recycling place only allows 5 gallons at a time. So I apoligize for any environmental damage that I caused but maybe you should yell at the recycling place. I am not going to make 3 trips there to just recycle antifreeze. I may have to delete this if the enviro nazi's catch wind of it!

11. CARDOCTOR

your a better man than most of us

most guys would have dumped it in the drain

cardoctor

12. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

A neighbour of mine was throwing out a baby wash basin, so I snagged it. It's perfect for catching coolant-flush contents as it's quite large but also low (only about 4" high, but holds lots!), so it slides right under control arms, crossmembers, etc.

It's white plastic, so it's easy to see how clean or dirty the coolant is, and it wipes clean with a couple of sheets of paper towel.

Mine cost me nothing, but I'm sure Wal-Mart (or similar) would have them for less than $10.

I invested $4 in a large mouth funnel to make it easy to transfer the used coolant from the baby basin to an empty antifreeze container for disposal at my local recycling station.

Just an FYI.

DJS