1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing angle rams

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Shade Tree NJ, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Going to change the angle rams on my western pro plus as they have developed a few small pits of rust on them, also going to change the fluid in the plow while I a, doing everything. My question is changing the angle rams as easy as removing the pins, hooking up hydro lines and that's it? Or is there more to it that I don't know
    Thanks in advance

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

it's dependent on which plow you have as to how they're mounted.

My western unimount was a PITA as the bolt that held the front part of the ram to the plow blade was rusted in place. I had to cut the bolt head off to get the ram out of the sector where the ram mounts to the blade. The rear part is easy, as I could get an impact gun on the bolt, but the front bolt is "captured" and forced me to replace the bolts after cutting the old ones off.

Good idea to replace the bolts anyway and load them up with neverseize before assembly. Install your hoses and fill er up. You should flush the pump before you connect the hoses to the rams.... and even better... replace your hoses while you have it apart. This will ensure you are good to go for the winter.

. Go to fastenal on Industrial avenue (near Grainger) in Eatontown to get new bolts. The guys there are great to work with...