1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changing 4x4 manual hubs

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Iceman551960, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Iceman551960

Iceman551960 Junior Member

I purchased a 1973 International model #1110 4x4 pickup recently and discovered the hubs are bad. Everything I looked up said I need "Milemarker #302" replacement hubs. The instructions are very clear but generic. My problem is I can't seem to find anywhere instructions for International specific instructions. I removed the cover plate and slid out the "guts" which consisted of four springs attached to a thin metal plate on one side and a big gear on the other. The inside of the hub has a little gear with a retaining clip. Since the "new" set had the little gear inside the big gear, I assumed that I needed to remove the retaining clip and the little gear inside the hub. The little gear is attached to the spline. It doesn't come out. I don't know what I'm doing in the first place, but I did watch a video online and it didn't look too difficult. Also the housing that the cover plate (dust cap) attaches to is too small in diameter for the new set to slide into . Do I have the wrong replacement hubs? I need some major help and dumb it down please. It's my first time.
  2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I am no mechanic, but I did change mine on a F250 and older F350. The retaining ring needs to come out and both gears come out as well. the new ones slid right in for me. When you looked up your part #, was there different axle sizes as well? My F250 and F350 have different axle sizes available. If the cap is too small, maybe you bought the wrong axle size.
  3. Iceman551960

Iceman551960 Junior Member

no, mine just had the one size.