1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changes in Half Ton Trucks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by roellk, Jul 9, 2014.

1. roellk

roellk Junior Member
    from 49801

Why did earlier half ton trucks allow snow plow mounting but newer half ton trucks do not?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Lighter frames, electronic power steering, engines.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

FVMSSA, CARB, EPA, CCSB, GVWR, FAWR, just to list a few acronyms that apply.

Widen your search area, add the following terms to your search parameters, 26 series, Sport duty, Mid weight, Drive pro, st90

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Pretty much this. Or no solid frame past the front axle. People demand lighter trucks with better fuel economy. Well this is what we get.

Nobody makes a beefy half ton anymore. You'll have to buy a 3/4. Hell even the 3/4 arent as tough as they once were. The new 3/4 are like the old 1/2.

5. PRE_SNI

PRE_SNI Junior Member

Ford is coming out with snow plow prep on the 2015 model F150

6. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Because the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket and they just don't make 'em like they used to.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I don't understand how they don't "make them like they used to" but they can tow what 3x what they could in the 90s? You can tow over 10k with a half ton now..

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

More power...different gearing. Older trucks were built to a much higher quality than today's rigs. Older trucks will last forever if you take care of them, and the new ones have so many electronic gizmos that eventually replacing those will be worth more than the truck.

9. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Not to mention the increased complexity to work and fix them as well more expensive parts.

I'm at the cross roads to fix my 2000 Chevy 2500 or replace,,,I'm probably going to spend a couple thousand to get it back %100. Only 134k on it.

The new 1500s do look much more stout though than ones from the past.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Increased complexity? How?

All it generally takes is a scanner. You couldn't give me an "old half ton" for free. Y'all are scared of new technology for no reason. Everything is just a reliable if not more reliable. Plus the comfort of a newer truck? It's a no brainer. They are build 10x better than they used to be

Just wait till everyone's riding around on a hovercraft. Lol

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Just because they say it'll tow 10,000 pounds doesn't mean it should. Have fun trying to control that weight with a half ton pickup with the cheap azz breaks the put on nowadays

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

And the old half tons would have no issue with it?

A properly setup half ton towing isn't a big deal. The brakes are not small lol

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Many do, Chevy has always offered a snowplow prep on the half ton and most the plow manufacturers offer a line developed specifically for the 1/2 ton pickups and SUVs.
    Example Snoway' 26 series, Boss' sport duty, and the DD multi line offering HTS. However the Federal government though the FVMSSA (federal vehicle manufacturers safety standards act) puts restrictions on what plow manufacturers can list as fitting or even provide information on fitting non compliant vehicles.
    For example if Boss where to offer the information that you could psychically bolt their 2010 F150 mount on the 2012 F150 even though they do not list it as a approved fit and someone had a steering issue due to sacrificial loads required by the Boss wiring components Boss could have a potential liability, tis a litigious society

I know what you mean, I sure miss waiting for the sucker to warm up so the carburation works right, and the security factor provided by requiring a knowledge of just how this particular vehicle liked you to approach cold starts.
    Pumping the brake pedal trying to get the sucker stopped without spinning it when from rear brakes lock up (particularly in the rain) is a lost art as is feathering the throttle during during cornering.
    Boy howdy I sure miss the over steer, harsh ride, inadequate lighting, poor stereo and sliding around on the buckboard seat. The abundance of vehicle information systems in today's trucks take all the skill out of knowing trans and oil temps, tire pressures and the dam heated power mirrors and windows limit today's generation for ever developing the psychic powers required for blind backing.
    The truck doesn't double for a mosquito fogger after an oil change because they have those fancy channels to channel oil when you change filters. Speaking of oil filters whose smart idea was it to make them so easy to change? And spark plugs? 80K?? come on what happened to the annual jacking the motor up and removing a motor mount to lower the block for access to the rear PS plugs on my 74 suburban? And stone carb filter, I sure miss them.

I loved my 1976 Dodge snofighter full time four wheel drive shortbed with a built 360 but by 88 when the cost of replacing the front knuckles exceed the value of the truck it went down the road. 120K on it and I spent a SPL of $ getting the 400+ hp and foot pound of torque out of it that is standard in todays V8.

IMO if it's a plow truck its a waste of money unless that includes a trans rebuild
    Come on, they are more complex, but dollar for dollar you get SOOOO much more. Just the radio controls are more complex than they were, you have to figure out if you're in CD, AUX, Satellite, FM or AM, good old trucks had a volume and a tuning knob you could work with gloves on (heater in those days sucked.) You have EQ and fade control, 12 speakers to worry about instead of just the one in the dash and the dam phone is built in there also. Do you want to have to turn your light on or do you want it automatic? So many decisions and you need more than a hammer, pliers and a screwdriver to work on them. They will lie to you, truck's turn signal works but trailers doesn't there's still a blown fuse because they gave the trailer it's own circuit.:eek: How are you suppose to know when the trailer lights aren't working when the truck still works fine:gunsfiring:

The Dodge Mega 1500 weighs more than the 2500 regular cab and with any vintage 1/2 ton you're foolish to tow 10K without a weight distributing hitch and good trailer brakes.

14. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

It's pretty easy to tell who spent all their pennies on a half ton truck in this thread, lol.

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I have a 3/4 ton. Lol

Still have a half ton for running around

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep I agree! I own a 3/4 too and I think my next one might be a one ton. I don't see a need for a half ton any time soon

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like the blue...….

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Looks more purple to me.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Now that u said that, it does.

Since I drive a one ton, I guess I can run a 15 ft since its twice the truck....add diesel.....

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you're referring to me, Na I never run anything less then a 3/4 but that doesn't mean you can't run a half ton nor does it negate their usefulness.