1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changes for next season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Whiffyspark, May 10, 2014.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What are you guys doing different for next season?

I'm considering going out on my own this season. After all these years of subbing and managing people I'm ready to take the leap

May invest in a wideout/MVP if I do

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Gonna put a floor mat in the truck this year. Aside from that, keep subbing for a guy I genuinely want to work for, and call friend. Oh, and a new radio too

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Changing trucks. That count?

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:.......Carpet or Vinyl Floor Mat??

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

May go with last years plan on running EQM, we'll see.

SB, cassette player or 8-track?

6. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

New Truck. Thinking about switching all residentials over to 1" triggers. Right now they're all set at 2"; with the understanding that they'll shovel, etc. the lighter snow falls. They don't! So, I'm going to switch them all to 1" triggers; double the revenue without adding another customer.

Thoughts?

7. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Also double the expense of fuel, wear and tear on equipment and labor. If your accounts are profitable then I say go for it.

8. Defcon 5

I would go 8 Track......:drinkup:

9. Defcon 5

I am gonna put a 6" lift on my Truck.....A set of Dick Cepeck Monster Mudders.....It will be a real Driveway Weapon....Might not turn worth a crap....But, I will Look Awesome....:salute:

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing driveways at 1" here will get you out of business in a hurry. If you can get it why not go for it. Personally I'm trying to find a gently used Fisher 8.5 stainless vee. Not much luck yet though.

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Carpet, and Casette

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Does anyone have any experience with tornados/poly casters? We have all salt doggs now. But I'm considering switching

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I'm going to tell about 1/3 of my customers to look elsewhere. I'm getting to old for whiners.

14. Defcon 5

Well.......I did it....I put in the new radio this afternoon....:nod:

EightTrack.jpg

15. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

The amount of calls we had last winter with people asking us to come when there was only an inch of snow; has almost forced this decision.

I'm not taking the idea lightly; but merely out of, almost a demand, it seems like this has to be done.

Yes, the extra wear and tear on the trucks; but, our routes are very profitable and it seems like a no brainer with the amount of "extra requests" we have received.

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

You will have a lot of complaints come bill time. I dont think they will all go for a one inch trigger.

17. noplower

noplower Member

I plan to find accounts who understand that me and the crew need beauty sleep and let us finish after the storm. Next would be to find about a dozen people who nothing to do so that I can call them at a drop of the hat and put them in a trucks be it once every month or once a year.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We have a polycaster and it does a great job for us.

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Any jamming problems? We've always had augers so I'm not sure.

20. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a good used snowmobile so I can get the 5 miles into town where my loaders are during large storms. Staying with my married daughter with a newborn and 2 year old and 80 lb. husky licking my face just does not work. Riding a snowmobile on clear days would be fun too. :D:laughing:

Last edited: May 13, 2014