1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changeover costs ? [ Wrangler to mini pickup ]

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by larry newman, Nov 17, 2008.

1. larry newman

larry newman Member

After 10+ years in the business,I'm looking to the future - at some point I'll be needing a 4cyl. pickup for at least one roundtrip to Sedona, AZ, about 2300 mi. one way...my April vacation that I'm planning. 4 cyl. for max. mpg.

This one'll last for a month, with plans to make it permanent [ TWO roundtrips, one towing a motorcycle trailer ] , if everything clicks.

My girlfriend says to get a 4wd truck, then it could be a backup for my jeep. she has to replace her vehicle, so the truck makes sense.

If I had to swap the plow midseason, I'm thinking that a truck frame and wiring kit would do it. Here's the questions:
    Since I'm running a Predator 18, will a truck frame that's available today even fit this plow? How about the wiring kit?
    I've always plowed with a 6cyl. Jeep - will a 4cyl. S-10 or Ranger or Dakota be able to plow?

I wonder if they plow in Flagstaff...It does snow there. ;)

Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The small truck will do the job, the trick will be to find one that has the older three point mounting system still available for it.
  3. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I understand Flagstaff averages around 100" of snowfall per year. So it would be a safe bet that there is some plowing going on. So if I were you, in addition to the bike, I'd also take the plow.

Feel free to check back here once you locate a truck and we can tell you if there is still a sub-frame available for it.