1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changeing from solids to liquids. Yes or No

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vincent, Nov 22, 2012.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

2 years ago I upgraded to a v-box, snowex 7500 from a 575. During the 575 days, I only spread rock salt, with an occasional pallet of ice melt for some sidewalks.

My reason for going to the bigger spreaders was: 1- I could buy bulk as needed right by my house and it was $150 cheaper by the ton, no brainer. 2- The need to cut bags was over (so I thought) plus is was totally simple to go this route.

Now, Last year, 8 of my 9 locations doesn't want rock salt anymore, they want product that doesn't hurt their concrete or asphalt. So instead of paying $800 per ton for CC, I buy the blend or commonly known around here as "Road Runner", about $325 per pallet, cut bags and pour into v-box:realmad:

So here is why I am considering going to liquid. I've researched many posts here, looked at all kinds of equipment and need help on deciding.

FYI, locations are fire departments, daycare, churches.

Should I change over completely?

Thanks

2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Ok i guess you would be the perfet canidate to switch over to liquid...

We made the switch in 05 Right before the salt shortage... To this day 95% of our commercial places get liquid.

We only have a few that still request rock..
    Let me just say there will be nights where you say DANG i need some rock because this liquid just isnt cutting it. In that case we usually plow the slush then spray or either use rock.

Over the 7 years of spraying I have found the slushy events just suck with liquid. Thankfully we only get maybe 3 bad ones a season. Lastly liquid take practice. Dont just go out and buy 6k unit thinking you're going to splash this stuff on every which way and its going to work exactly how you want it to... Because thats not the case. There are many variable that you must consider when you're applying liquid. Because if you dont, you could end up with an ice rink on your hands....

I've always have a dump truck with a 5yrd rock spreader as a backup so... I was always safe. I advise you to do the same.

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

bigboy has it right. You may not be able to totally replace rock salt but liquids will help you be more proactive and profitable. See www.highcountryis1.blogspot.com for a couple of detailed discussions.