1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed wiper motor, now the wipers won't work together... 94 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wolfowner, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Wolfowner

Wolfowner Junior Member
    from Houston

Changed wiper motor, now the wipers won't work together...

First, may I say hello, and what a great looking forum [:)]

I have a 94 Suburban that I changed the wiper motor out with another used one. Simple swap... now the passenger wiper cog ( keyway line up) points at 11 o'clock and the driver side is just fine. Tried adjusting the travel arm, but no go.. What did I do? This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. And I'm great at building, fabricating etc.. [rolleyes]

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Wolfowner:help:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

When you swapped the motor,did you just unbolt it from the linkage,or did you mess with anything else ?

Is it possible the linkage came apart and jammed things up,and maybe that's why the other motor wouldn't work ?

and............Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

3. Wolfowner

Wolfowner Junior Member
    from Houston

Thanks for your quick responce wyldman.. :)

I just unbolted it .. didnt mess with anything

If the linkage did come apart, would'nt I have been able to see that? or would it be broken up undernieth somewhere?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's also possible when you changed it that one of the wiper pivots got out of phase.If it flopped around 180 degress,it could be causing your problem.

Pull the motor back out and manually operate the linkage by hand to see if you can figure out what's wrong.While it's out,rotate the pass side back in line with the drivers side,and then bolt it back up and see what happens.

Does it have the two small screws to adjust the linkage ?

5. Wolfowner

Wolfowner Junior Member
    from Houston

yes, it has the adjustment screws on a slotted track.. I tried to adjust, but it doesnt move the cog far enough..

If it were 180 deg. off, then wouldnt the cog be the opposite from the other?

What ever happen to splined pivots !!

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

You would think it should be 180 degrees off if it got tuned upside down,but it may not be,due to the geometry of the linkage.You don't think one of the cogs has moved on the pivots ?

I'd still pull it back apart and find out what happened.

7. Wolfowner

Wolfowner Junior Member
    from Houston

I dont know if it possible for a cog to move on a pivit..

I am running one wiper only, the drivers side obviously.

I'll take it back apart this weekend and see if I can figure it out some more.. [:)]

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Let me know what all you find.....just curious to know what happened.