1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bike5200, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Just got done changing spark plugs in my "01" HD. There was this white build up on all 8 spark plugs. I think the plugs have 103,513 miles on them, I brought the truck with about 52,000 miles on it and this is the first time I have changed the spark plugs. I think these are the original plugs. The truck does not use anti-freeze but it does use a little oil. I check the oil every morning before I start it. I try to keep the oil at the third hole on the dip stick, I just add oil as needed. Has any one seen this on spark plugs? Sorry the pictures are a little out of focus. :drinkup::drinkup:

P1060002 (Medium).JPG

P1060003 (Medium).JPG

P1060006 (Medium).JPG

2. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

Is it like a white ash deposit??

If so.... that's where your oil is going

3. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

it's white and some what hard :drinkup::drinkup:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What your experiencing it totally normal for the 8.1's... they use a little oil, and they put the deposits on the spark plugs...it's just the nature of the beast.

The trick on the 8.1's is to change the plugs every 25 or 30,00 miles. Don't let them go any longer than that.

And just a note: Even if you pull them at 25 or 30,000 mi you'll still find oil deposits on them.

And heres a tip for next time: Use the AC Delco 41-993 plugs and gap them at .045 no matter what the underhood label says... it will add power and smooth out the idle. :nod:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Not to jack this thread, but since we are on plugs, is that plug similar for the 6.0?? And is the oil consumption the same as well? Just wondering, and no sense in starting the same thread for a different engine

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

That fine with me, we are one big happy family here, right :drinkup::drinkup:

Hey, I know how snowless feels too

Steve

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tom, the 41-993's are in fact the same replacement plug that the 6.0's now use. (Delco recently changed some of their p/n's around)

The 6.0's don't have the common oil consumption issue that the 8.1's are noted for. You can close the gap up a bit on the 6.0's though.. but it doesn't make as much of a difference as it does on the 8.1's.

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

B&B couple of questions

Is that 41-993 a colder or hotter plug?

Is that plug less expensive than the AC Delco plugs that are for the truck?

The dealer parts counter gave me a 41-983

Steve :drinkup::drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're slightly colder.. which helps to keep it out of detonation.
    The 8.1's are very sensitive to detonation, and as soon as it sense's it the ECM will pull a ton of timing out....hurting the power in the process. The more things you can do to keep it from detonating, the stronger it will run. Another cheap and easy power helper on them is to run a 180* thermostat. Cooler combustion chamber temps cuts back on the detonation as well.

No they're about the same price depending of course on where you buy them.Generally around $5-$6 or so..