1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed one over to electric.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well we changed our large 3 yd V box over to electric from hydro this fall, and I didn't know if I would like it or not. Well we had our first salting event today, and all I can say is WOW! Wish we had done it sooner. It's so nice flipping a switch and having everything work. (no gas, starting fluid, clutch, anything). We changed all bearings, added a new spinner shaft and spinner, heavy duty wire, constant duty selonid, circuit breaker, new stainless drive chain, sprockets, and (2) 1/2 hp electric motors (hooked together). Total cost about $900, never worring about a gas motor not starting @ 2 am.....priceless!! It has somthing like a 16" drag chain, and once it is loaded it seems like it moves slow, but it throws a prefect amount of salt and it spreads it so evenly.

If anyone wants info, I can post pics (I think) and answer questions. I've always used gas motors, and thought it had to be a pain in the a$$, but it doesn't.

Good luck to everyone this season, Bossman

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Felt the same way when I won a bid on 2 electric V-boxes. The only thing I can recommend is to have a spare alternator. I have never had a problem with that but its cheap insurance. Do you have 2 batteries?

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I am going to either re-power my 10' boss salter with a 12hp briggs or I am going to switch over to electric. The main thing I want is reliability and spread distance.

Does your salter still fling it out there nice and far or is it throwing it less than the gas engine did?

4. Bossman 92

Thanks for the heads up on the alternator, I didn't think about that. It does have 2 batteries so that may help.

Bossman

5. Bossman 92

Go electric, you'll be glad you did. It's nice cause I know its gonna work everytime I flip the switch. I never ran this unit before now, but it throws it out there good. I was a little worried at first, and figured 2 little (quite) motors couldn't do near the job the big (loud) 10 hp gas motor could, boy was I wrong. The motors we used are cheap, so I have 2 backups just in case one goes bad.

All I am going to say is this, once we get a stretch where it's not going to snow for awhile the other gas unit will be change over to electric as well.

Bossman

6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Great to hear the good news Bossman I am at the point where I have to replace a motor on my SS 8' Vbox and have been bouncing back and forth between gas and electric. With everything I have been hearing lately I am going to start getting the parts together to go electric with it and save myself a bunch of night time headaches. Any chance you could post a few quick pics for us.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Can you vary the speed or is it a fixed speed?

Please post pics when you can.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Pictures please.

9. newhere

from Fenton

Could you hekp us by making a list of parts needed?

10. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Please post pics and parts list. I have a 3yard sander that I will be setting up for next year.

I have 2 electric right now, and don't want to go back in time!

thanks

11. Bossman 92

This one is fixed speed, and it works very well. My next one will be variable, not that there is anything wrong with the first one, I would just like to try and see if I like that better.

I will post some pics later today, and I can make up a parts list for those who asked.

Bossman

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would think a variable speed switch like what is on some of the hitch mount spreaders would work

13. newhere

from Fenton

the problem is that those variable speed switches are very expensive and wouldn't you need two? one for the chain and one for the spreader?

14. cretebaby

I could pay for a variable speed controller pretty fast with just the salt savings.

I think the motors are hooked together.

15. Bossman 92

Like you said, I think you would need 2. I looked at the Karrier units, and they are expensive. I didn't take pics today as I was busy ( working on equipment this morning then I spent the last 2 hrs of daylight trying to fill a deer tag) I will get some pics tomorrow. I will need someone to help me post them. I have a good camera, with all kinds of cords, but no clue how to post pics.

Bossman

16. newhere

from Fenton

i dont mind spending money on things ONE TIME i just want it to work perfect from then on out. I would like to put a insane big electric motor on the spinner so i can blast salt 50' wide thick.

you could always just have a on and off for the chain and meter the salt with the shoot door.

17. cretebaby

I can help you post them or you can email them to me and I wiil post them for you.

18. newhere

from Fenton

how are your two motors arranged?

19. Bossman 92

They are side by side, and wired together so they both run the same direction. They each have sprockets on them, one is set so it's between the spinner shaft and the shaft for the gear box, and the other is the same directly across form motor #1.

We had to salt this morning and I am going to go empty the salter and wash it out right now, and I will get some pics then.

Bossman

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

glad it's working for you , cant wait to see pics. i would think that even 2 of the same motors would spin at slightly different RPMs , so ganging them could cause problems?