1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed my Brake Pads.... something is wrong

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Jul 31, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Alright Im here again.... you guys always have the best info......

Okay, I own a 1979 Chevy LongBed pickup well the brakes started to squek so naturally I went and bought some brake pads, high temp grease, brake parts cleaner and brake fluid so I could change out the pads, well when I removed the wheel and looked at the brake pads through the top of the caliper I noticed that the pads still had about half the pad left, so I cleaned everything up and put the wheel back on.... well the brakes continued to squek so I decided to change the pads anyway...

not sure if it is necessary for me to explain every step I took in replacing the pads.... let me know if yall need to know....

but after replacing the pads and wheels I took it out of my driveway for a test drive and now when I lightly press on the brakes ( to slow down) its fine no noise, but when I try to come to a complete stop the entire truck seems to vibrate....
    do you know what I mean???

so I try to figure it out myself and go to auto websites, but I get mixed information some say that my rotor is warped and some say my tires need to be rotated...

Please help.... if you need more info let me know...
    Like I said yall are always a big help to me...
    Thanks in advance....

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the rotors were warped,you should have noticed it before,and it would do it more when your slowing down,and not right as you come to a stop.

Lets just make sure first that you didn't do anything wrong when you did the brakes.

You didn't lose the little bushing that fits inside the inner ears of the caliper did you ? It should have been taken out,and greased when you did the job.The caliper bolts go through this bushing to locate the caliper.There should be two per side (one in each inner ear).If one,or more are missing,it will make some funny noises and vibrate.

You cleaned up the caliper bolts,and lubed them well ? Especially where they go into the outer ear of the caliper.They must be free of rust,and greased.

You did bend the ears of the outboard pad down so it fits tight on the caliper right ? If not,it can cause a very weird noise.The inboard pad should also have a retaining clip.It must either be transferred to the new inboard pad,or sometimes they come with new ones.Either way it must be in there.Double check and and make sure it went into the caliper piston,and not around the outside,where it will get under the seal.

You didn't twist up the flex lines while the caliper was off did you ? I doubt you did,but just make sure they aren't twisted or stressed.

Caliper bolts must be tight too.If they are loose,it will make noise.

Did the caliper push back easily ? If not,it may be siezed or sticking.

Make sure you didn't get grease or dirt all over the pads and rotors.It will cause the brakes to be grabby,and chatter.

Check that stuff first,and let me know if you find anything.

3. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Thank you sir, you are a GOD!!!:D :blush2: :nod: :)

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Did you actually find the problem ? and what was it ? It always helps to post the results,as members who happen to find the post later with the search feature can see what fixed it.

5. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Yes I found the problem

Here is what happened.....
    when I put the pads in the first time.. I did not have the clip for the back pad, so I put it in anyway..... also I placed No Squel lubricant (bought at autozone) on both pads and then put everything back together after that I was having a major problem with vibration when I placed my foot on the brake.....

After reading wyldman's post I knew that the clips must be important, so when I removed the caliper and brake pads I noticed that the No Squel lubricant that I placed on the pads and dried up and formed some sort of rubbery effect on the pads and rotor, so I cleaned those up and placed the clips on the back pads that I removed from my other 79 Chevy that I am parting out and there you go... my brakes are good as new....
    Thanks for the help!!

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I figured it was something simple like that.I have seen a lot of guys leave that clip out or break it,and have the same problem.

Leaving out one of the caliper bushings will have the same effect.