1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed fluid plow wont raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrr102486, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

I have an 8ft Unimount pro plow and I just changed the fluid in it a few days ago. Put in the Western blue fluid, changed the hoses, changed the filter on the pump, cleaned out the bottom of the case and now with the plow chain hooked up it will not raise the plow past a taught chain. Remove the chain and it will raise fully no problem. Plow angles side to side just fine. Thoughts, suggestions, threats?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

interesting. could be the pump not putting out enough pressure, but was it working before? because the pump getting worn enough not to put out good pressure would not be a sudden thing.
    the only other thing I'd think of right off the bat to wonder about would be the o-ring on the bottom of the pump. we always pull the pump out and change that whenever we do a service. if you pulled the pump but didn't change it or check it, maybe it's messed up. that would let the fluid just circulate in the tank instead of pushing the ram up. the angle might still work ok because it doesn't take as much pressure.
  3. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

Well there is an o-ring that I found on the ground after I pulled everything apart but I have no idea where it goes. Everything was working fine before I did the service. Now there is still the seal at the bottom of the of the motor, but on the exploded view I don't see the o-ring...

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Looks like the oring that goes on the bottom of the pump not the motor. If you took the pump out then it probably fell off. Pull the motor off and then the pump. You can do this with leaving the fluid in but if your not comfortable just drain it and reuse it. Once the pump is out check for a oring on the bottom. That should be your problem.
  5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

yeah - left over parts or pieces is never a good thing......

as nearlybird suspected, its the O-ring that mounts on the underside of the pump.

should be a quick fix.
  6. Fordman2011

Fordman2011 Member
    from 45356

I had the same problem and it was an improperly seated o-ring on the bottom of the pump. I re-seated it and it worked just fine