1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Changed E47 fluid - Need Help fast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowbie, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

I know we have a couple other similar threads going but I'm desperate to get this figured out in the next 5 hours.

As stated before, earlier this week the plow was not raising in the cold. Seemed ok if above freezing. I decided to change the fluid last night.

Today I put everything back on. Worked great up/down left/right about 6-8 times then nothing. Well, almost nothing, it barely comes up if anything.

So, do you think I'm back to whatever problem I had to begin with which never had anything to do with the fluid OR is something happening thats common after a fluid change that i need to address (ie air somewhere in the system or I need to add fluid)?? I checked the fluid and it apprears about right. The directions say it should 1 1/2" below the fill cap and its close to that. Can I hurt anything if it is filled too high? Should I add and see what happens?

:confused: HELP :confused:

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

There is usually quite a bit of air in the system after a change. Refill the fluid, run the plow a few more times and check the fluid again.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Did you flush the system or just change the fluid?? I have found that just changing the fluid does not help. There is a good chance that your strainer is clogged up. I would take the reservoir cap off and at least clean out the sump and strainer using naptha... If you flush the entire pump assembly, make sure you flush the rams also.....

4. recon

recon Junior Member

If you have the older type system, belt driven fisher, the pump could be getting weak but my experience has been that the strainer inside the pump inself gets clogged. If it is belt driven check belt tension. Take the cap off the pump and see if there is air bubbles. If present, bleed the system. If its a minute mount I don't have much knowledge on that system. Hope this helps

5. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

looks like i'm all set, for now anyway!
    i had added more fluid and it worked briefly then quit again.
    i then gave up and went to work disgusted.
    my wife seems to have the magic touch. i had her go out an hour or two later and it still barely did anything but she continued to work it.
    it finally started responding eventually and seems fine now. maybe she worked some air around or something?

i plowed everything once already tonight and it never quit on me so we'll see.

it definately needs to be flushed right. in a rush last night i only drained, cleaned out the screens and refilled.

6. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

perhaps your motor is weak...i had a motor that worked/sounded normal but didnt give enuf pressure, changing it solved the problem. of slow lifting/ not angling in one direction

7. xzostd1

xzostd1 Junior Member

MY e47 is doing exactly the same thing. When I went out this morning 10F the plow worked for maybe 7 or 8 different movements then slowed down and stopped. You could still hear it running , but no movement. After I heated the base of the unit with my propane torch it starts working and will work all day as long as I dont let it sit too long. I have changed the fluid twice. I am going to follow the other tips from this site to flush and reseal the pump as soon as this event is over. It takes about five minutes of heating playing the flame over the bottom of the unit. xzostd1 at msn if you want to e-mail me direct (ad the at sign and .com)
    Bill Huntl

8. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

You might have a small air leak some where. i had a pin hole in the upper seal and everytime i changed fluid it did the same thing check everything l;ike seals connections etc... and also it might look full (fluid) work it till it gets slow again then check again add if needed keep doin it till it works great....
    ive had the same problem this yr and one of my couplers was leaking air and that was my problem... hope everythign works out