1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Change of plans, what do you think, am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueWing, Apr 16, 2011.

1. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I have a 4 door 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup that I was going to put a Western MidWeight plow on. MidWeight is 532 lbs.
    After thinking it over long and hard I have decided to put a Western Pro Poly 8' plow on my truck. It weights 690 lbs. which is 15 lbs more then a 7.5 Pro Poly and 158 lbs more then a MidWeight.
    I will not be traveling far with it ever on my truck and like my last plow I always take it off when I am done plowing.
    I am going to put a set of Timbren's on the front, crank up the torsion bars a few rounds and carry 500lbs against the tailgate.
    I just hope the truck doesn't sit too low in the front with the plow raised.
    It is $140 more then the MidWeight plow and much more heavy duty then the MidWeight. How I got to the only $140 difference is because on the MidWeight I was adding shoes and a rubber snow deflector. Both of those come standard on the Pro Poly.
    So, do you think I am nuts for doing this?
    I talked to the Western dealer a couple times about it and he said as long as I am willing to put the Timbren's on and crank up the torsion bars he sees no problems with doing it.
    He also agreed that for the extra $140 he would do the same thing.

2. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

go for the 8' er.... timbrens... and call it a day.....I have a 8' western and timbrens... Works great!

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I just sold a 7.5' Midweight off of a new Dodge 1500... Truck seemed to handle it just fine. It wasn't my truck but saw it plenty. Looked fine and the owner had no complaints. I would question a 8' Poly Pro but thats just me. I am sure it would do fine but 700+lbs hanging off the front a nice 1/2ton seems a but much. Good luck and I am sure you will be fine Thumbs Up

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I thought the 09 1500 series Dodges were running coils in the front.... As for the weight aspect you will be fine. But don't think you will not be replaceing your fair share of front end parts. Outers upper and lowers and wheel bearings. Its just part of plowing!!!

Remember its just not the extra weight of the blade but rather the live load of the snow you are pushing too!! With that said the truck will be fine. Just take care of it and keep an eye on the front end.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes Dodge has used Coils in the 1500's since 2006. Have fun.

6. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

You won't want anything less than 8' on there. You'll be wishing you had larger if you only go 7.5, especially with the 4 door truck you will always be running over snow on corners. I have a half ton, ext cab short box and run a 7.5 with wings that bring it almost to 10 ft. It's how you push that matters and how much you push. Don't push like a moron and you'll be okay. I won't plow without my wings anymore.

7. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I had a 7.5 Western on my last Chevy 1500 4 door 4x4 truck. The guy that bought it wanted the plow and paid to get it with the truck.
    I totally agree about the 7.5 running over snow on the corners with the 4 door truck.
    I know what matters most is how & how much one pushes the snow. I am really careful about that issue. I have went through too many tranys over the years and learned my lesson years ago.

YES, it has coils and NO torsion bars. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.
    I am sure I will be fine with using the Timbrens on the front end. I am going to put an extra washer under them so it will make firm contact right from the get go when weight is added to the front end.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011