1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

change from unimount to ultramount.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowman4life, Feb 29, 2008.

1. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

my truck has a 7.5' unimount on it. if i decided to change to an ultramount. would the undercarriage mount bolt up the same as the unimount? or would i need new holes in the frame.

also would i have to change all the wireing and stuff.

just trying to find out if it would be worth it. trying to make things easier on myself here. as is my plow takes about 5-10 min to mount and about the same time to unmount. and i understand that the ultramount is much easier.

also if anyone knows. would i be able to change it from a unimount to a minute mount 2 easily?

2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I've never used one (or even seen one) but I understand there is a conversion kit from Unimount to Ultramount...you should give your dealer a call.

I have the Ultramount and can have the plow on in about a minute. I would think that the conversion would definitely shorten your hook up time (without all the hassle your referring to).
  3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

The conversion kit is for using a Uni-mount plow on a Ultra mount truck. And trust me it is NOT quick by any means. I use one.
    From what I am guessing you have a Uni frame on the truck and want to switch to a Ultra mount? I would guess the frame mount should use the same holes in the frame or close to it. I did have to drill one hole through the frame on my truck, no biggy. As far as the wiring goes, depends on if you have the 9 or 11 pin wires, also if it is an older say 03 style Ultra that has the 2 plugs not the newer 3 plugs set up. Now the new ones have a isolation box and that changes everything. I will be buying an Ultra this summer for next year as I am tired of using the conversion deal on my truck, it just hangs down too low and hits everything all the time.
    Hope this helps a little.
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

sorry if i confused anyone.

i have a unimount frame setup on my truck right now. i want to take off the whole thing and replace it with an ultramount or minute mount 2. it is an 11 pin i believe. i also have my old diamond plow i can put on it. how easy would it be to change over to that. its a classic diamond frame?

i want to go to the ultramount to save mounting time and also so i can get a MVP. ive been looking around for a unimount MVP but no luck in my area and i dont really want to pay to ship one.
  5. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

I have a 2001 GMC 2500 4x4 with an ultra-mount(truck side) mount. I have the adapter to convert it to the uni-mount. It takes me longer to connect this than it does to connect a regular uni-mount. Also, the conversion adapter from ultra to uni makes your truck sit to low. It will bottom out on the slightest incline. I just purchased a used regular uni-mount frame for $ 320 and cant wait to put it on. I hate the adapter!!!!
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I understand your question:

Yes, on any one of your trucks listed in your signature, the uni-mount and ultra-mount brackets use the same holes, the ultra-mount actually uses less holes.

And, you will have to change all of your wiring, the new ultra-mounts have 3 plugs involved in hooking up the truck wiring to the plow wiring, as you know your uni-mount only has 2 plugs hanging out the front.

In responce to is the hook-up time less... yes it is

Is it worth the cost of putting on a new plow... IMO: no unless you want a new plow

If you are looking for a quicker way to hook up you plow, I can give you a recommdation of not so much as buying a new plow, make or buy a plow cart. I can hook up my plow uni-mount almost as quick as an ultra-mount now. I just push the plow up to the bracket, slide the bottom two pins in, lift the headgear and put those clips in, plug the plow in, and lift it off the cart. Less than 5 minutes. Since I built this cart, I never hook up my plow until I get called to go push.

I will included the pictures of my cart so you see what I am talking about;

Hope this info helps

Accident 019.JPG

Accident 013.JPG