1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Challenger Tractors

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by creativedesigns, Aug 29, 2009.

1. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, Just seeing what ur opinions are about the new Challenger Tractors by Cat. I was at a snow show this month & they had some of the Challengers on display, they looked tough & rugged machines! Are they a worthy machine to buy ya think? Anyone ever operated these, or know someone who has? Now, between the greens,reds, blues & oranges (cuz everyone knows that Im a Kubota guy) what'dya think. :waving:

Heres some pics:

DSCN3171.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

DSCN3189.JPG

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I believe, but may be wrong that they are either made or designed by Cat.

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The challenger tractors are great looking machines, but they are not cat's. They are agco's ( massey ferguson, fendt, gleaner, etc ) renamed and distributed through cat dealers.

, shaun

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct. Probably good tractors but thier resale value will be abit to be desired.

5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

I think a lot has to do with:
    Does the tractor meet your needs vs a loader or other equipment?
    Dealer support, off season uses
    and O&M (including depreciation) costs.

Keith

6. creativedesigns

So Dave, would you ever consider purchasing one (if you were in the maket for another tractor) lets say 140 to 170 hp? What do ya mean by resale value to be desired?

7. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

That's right, It is an Agco product. I don't know about the wheeled tractors, but I have spent a lot of hours in an MT765 with tracks. The interior set up as very nice. All the controls are in a very convenient location. It even has steering wheel mounted audio controls. lol. But any way, The machine has about 325-350 hp. Theirs no issue with power even with a field 20 foot ripper about a foot and a half in the ground. And once again i don't know if this is true for the wheel type tractors but the cat I run has a real Caterpillar engine.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not a chance. I bet a Challenger is only 10-15k less then a comparable Deere but when you go to sell it in 5-10 years it will be worth 30k+ less then the Deere. Buy what you see the most of in your area, generally you will get better service, parts availability and better resale in the end.

9. fluemasterjr

fluemasterjr Junior Member
    from maine

I don't know about the larger ones but i own a mt265 (35) hp and it is terrible no traction the gears are all wrong you never have the gear you need axle seals have been replaced several times and wont stop leaking. its hard to get parts for and no one wants to service it!!! wont start below 20* the loader will drop for no reason when you are lifting it was not worth the $5,000 i saved over the john deere or kobota and trade in value its a 2006 with 200 hours on it and all i can get is $6,000 and its in perfect condition i know of some one else who has a larger one 85hp and they had been waiting on perts from china for almost 6 months

10. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Cre if you are a millionare snowplower,then buy the best don't cheap out man LOL:p

11. creativedesigns

Yea, I guess I'll stick with the BEST!

I would'a thought that being an AGCO tractor with Cat engine would bring modest resale value. They do look intimidating tho. lol

But yea, I'll keep what I have in mind to purchase :cool:

DSCN3192.jpg

DSCN3191.jpg

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Cre, green looks much better in the snow! :drinkup:

[​IMG]

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think challanger tractors are alot like dodge trucks.... The motor may never die, but everything else will fall apart...

14. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Now you are talkin,that think could move some snow,and be able to get parts for it.

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to a Dodge.

AGCO builds some fine tractors, like Massey Ferguson and Fendts.

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Agco builds good tractors. Anymore it would be pretty hard to find a NAME brand tractor thats not built well or could compete with the next guys tractor. I looked at a Challenge tractor at a farm show last winter. It was nice, but with a loader on it you couldn't see the bucket.

In my parts, Agco dealers are pretty spread out. Where Deere dealers are in just about every mid sized farming town. Thus, there is lots of Green here.

J.

17. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

*Cough* Kubota *Cough* wesport

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can gaurantee there are 3 times as many Deere's sold in Ottawa every year. Price has a lot to do with what you buy. Cre asked me about a tractor over 100 hp and Kubota doesn't make a tracor with much more then 100 pto hp.

19. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I think Cre and I both just have a bit of a Kubota bias. In no way am I bashing JDs tho. I don't have anywhere close to enough experience to do that and I can't see there being much wrong JDs considering they've been in business for how long?

I just know from what I see when I'm out plowing that the most popular tractor I see would be Kubotas, ran by many different contractors. Then I would have to say the second most would be NH but they are all from one company who run about a 100HP tractor with blowers. I think the biggest I have seen are Case - one contractor has about 3 huge ones. I have only ever seen 1 JD plowing but it was a super nice machine.

Just letting you know I usually agree with everything you say on this forum or once I read the first post in a thread you stole the words out of my mouth before I get to the last post! tymusic

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In all honesty Kubota would be my second choice. Kubota's are 10-15k less then a comparable Deere and I'm sure that has something to do with seeing more for snow. Kubata and NH are ver aggessive right now with there snow program compared to Deere. tymusic