1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Dec 20, 2009.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I put some chains on the rear wheels of my 92 K1500 this year. When I try to back drag, especially up hill the rear wheels would spin and I would not go anywhere. So much for
    4wd it doesn't work when the rear wheels spin. I have a F150 that does not act that way. Anyway, the chains made the difference. Anybody have this problem?

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

F W D works forward or Backward....Don't understand you problem with chains ????

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Sounds to me that you are having trouble with your 4 wheel drive......Are you sure you are even getting 4 wheel in forward gears?...Your diff actuator may not be working...fairly common problem with Chevys.

92....Were they still using the vacuum actuator, or was it electric?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No vacuum actuators on full size GMs. All electric. They did use vacuum on the S-10 trucks though.

5. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

2COR is right. the full size trucks all had the electronic actuator. the problem with the early ones is the actuater used a heat element to heat up freon, causing it to expand and engage the front diff. after time those freon operated actuators would loose their freon and be useless. when you get a new one do some research, or make sure your parts guy knows what he's talkin about. some parts stores still sell the freon filled type as opposed to the new solenoid style.

also, the ass of a 1500 is nowhere near heavy enough for chains alone. you need to get a load of sand or something for weight if you're going to run chains. personally i find i get far better performance with the chains on the front wheels. but i don't leave the chains on between jobs. i only use them when absolutely necessary.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

7. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

I do, because i have a lot of tight spaces i plow. lots of tight cornering with the blade down and lots of irregularities on the ground that could snag the blade. for the lots i plow it's far more important to have the added traction in the front end. I have yet to have any issues related to it being IFS. probably because i remove the chains before driving and don't install them for every job. a good set of studs usually sufices.

also, if you didn't notice from my other posts, i'm running a 1500. If i were to put 3k lbs in the back of that truck for the entire winter i'd be replacing wheel bearings, at the least, every spring.

8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I had the actuator on the front axle replaced last year. Sometimes it would go into 4wd and sometimes not and sometimes it would go in and come out. The mechanic said it was weak and replaced it. I can see the front wheels spin sometimes so I know they are engaged. It seems though if the back wheels don't have any traction, they spin and I can't move even in 4wd. Somebody told me the tranny is 60/40 with most in the rear and that has something to do with it. Most of the time I have no problem plowing so I know the 4wd has to be working. No way I can be pushing that much snow with just rear wheel drive and no weight back there. It's just from a stand still when I try to move if it's slick the rear wheels spin and I can't move. The chains made a big difference today. I later took them off because I had to adjust some links as they are new. When I drove around without them I had the spin problem again. I was on a hill facing down, trying to back drag and the rear wheels spun and I could not move. I don't know if this is normal for that tranny or I have a problem.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the back tires are spinning, and the rears are not, you have a 4wd problem. Of course it is possible to spin all the tires in 4wd. What condition are your tires in? There is no 60/40 split with these trucks. And that would be controlled by the transfer case, not the transmission.

10. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Tires are big deep treads probably 3/4 of an inch of tread. If I'm on my flat driveway and put it in reverse and hit the gas I can see the front wheels dig in and spin. It's when I'm on slippery ground usually on a hill where one rear tire will spin.

I found my thread from last winter. Lots of opinions.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=79587

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Where do you get chains? I have not really needed them yet but had a few times where if I had them I would have installed them

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Big knobby tires generally do not do real well in the snow.

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicYou dont really have a full locking four wheel drive on those Chevys. More like 3 wheel drive. The older chevys with the cast iron transfer case and solid axle had full lock. If your truck for example is stuck in a ditch on the side of the road. Youll get the tire on the road with out the truck weight on it spinning and the other is stationary . Just my opinion/experience.

14. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

http://www.tirechain.com/

15. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

depends on the truck too. it's not a full locker, but the '97 1500 z71 i drive has limited slip and i rarely have a problem getting stuck. usually if i'm stuck it's because i over did it and burried the front tires while pushing the pile up, and trying to back out causes the blade to dig into snow and ice. thats operater error though, nothing wrong with the truck.

napa... most parts stores... any respectable tire store... walmart if you're desperate and in a pinch (don't expect them to last)...
    schwabbs is my favorite place to get them. I have 4link v bars right now, and if i can ever convince the boss to squeeze out a few more coins i'll ge the 2 link v bars.

then see a doctor... or substance abuse counselor :dizzy::D

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

You absolutely need more ballast. You don't need 3000 lbs, but 500 ought to be a good start for a 1500 truck. I would think you'd have ballast on before resorting to chains.
    The situation you are describing is the worst situation to put the truck in and expect it to back up. The rears will spin because there is not enough weight on them. Not sure why the fronts aren't, it either has to be because the actuators is questionable, or you just somehow can't transfer enough torque to the front with the rears freewheeling.

Ballast.

ballast ballast ballast. That is what the winter sport of plowing is all about.

17. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

FYI with the chains on the rear wheels I have no problems going anywhere. I don't have anything to put in the back to get 500 pounds of weight so maybe keeping the chains on is the answer for me.

18. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

sand? and i don't mean bags. it only runs $20 a yard where i'm at. i went to the local gravel pit last year and they loaded my bed as much as the springs would allow for $10.

if you fill your 1/2 ton to it's weight capacity just remember, it's going to get wet if it isn't already. that will add a lot of weight to the sand. if you get it dry i recommend not loading it full. also, if you have a load of sand and you do get stuck again you can use the sand to help get you out.

another benefit to having a load of sand is a lot of ppl will pay extra for sanding. even if you don't have a spreader a couple minutes with a shovel is well worth the extra $ imo. i watched a guy last year with his 2 teenage kids in the back throwing sand with shovels. they covered a parking lot the size of 1 1/2 football fields in less than 2 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you get sand, which is a good idea BTW, make sure it's salted/winter sand. Throw a tarp on it to keep it from getting more wet and freezing up.

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If your transfer case works, your front and rear driveshafts are linked by a drive chain, not fluid couplings or friction disks etc.... meaning if you are able to spin rear tires without spinning the fronts, there is a 4wd problem, period. Either transfer case or front diff.