1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chains ........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pinzgauer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Can you guys recommend good winter chains for my truck?
  2. karol

karol Senior Member

Ford! Ford!
  3. ErnieN85

ErnieN85 Junior Member

Not sure with a new truck. I always like the heavy lug chains (they wear better) but on my new 04 there isn't enough clearance on the fronts with 285's :eek: so I'm hopeing I don't need them......... moral of story see if you can borrow a set and try the fit and clearance before you need them. then buy
  4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I just got a set from AW Direct. What size tires you got on? Don't buy any with "locking cams". Had a set, the cams don't stay locked and the chains become very loose.
  5. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I have been running same set of heavy duty V-bar chains on the rear whenever I plow (dirt/gravel roads only) for 10 years now. I carry another pair of the same for the front for the really big storms and as back-up for the rear set, but fender clearance is not an issue on my truck. If you have to run on pavement or at speed even for a little ways, chains will wear much faster. Carry chain pliers and several spare cross chains plus several cold-shut repair links.

Regular twist link or even cable chains may be enough for your front end for emergency or occasional use.
  6. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

what kind of Ford? The ones I keep pulling out of ditches? That kind of Ford? Thank you for the input but I think I'll pass on that suggestion. :D

All my driveways are dirt and about half of them are steep as well. My contracts are for 5" minimum new snow so at times I wish I had chains. It's just that I am a lazy f%$@k. :D

What about those lay down snow ramps. Has anyone used them?

Thanks for all the replies .......