1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dcf, Jan 16, 2006.

1. dcf

dcf Junior Member

Any opinions on chains? I have a 2003 Ford F550 with dual wheels 225/19.5.
    Lots of ice this season so far and I start off each storm from the top of a mountain.
  2. sam c

sam c Member

Look into Insta-Chains. Flip a switch and there you go. If your not familiar with them take a ride to your local fire dept. Chances are they have a few trucks with them. Expensive I believe, but if your on a hill one mishap will cost much more than the chains. Regular chains are great, but putting them on and off gets old quick. Also Z chains may be a better option. There actually cable, can be used at higher speed and they don't chew up your tires like regular chains. Police use them. Good Luck.
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I use the ones with the V bars welded to the cross links. They work good for me, only on the out side tire. I have had to use them 3 times this year, so far.

4. dcf

dcf Junior Member

Thanks. Who makes those?
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Cable chains suck- they provide marginal traction increase in snow over good snow tires and pitiful increases in traction on ice. Properly installed standard chains work the best (vbar are #1 but plain cross link chains are #2) and are not really that tough to install. Cable chains have round sleeves over the cable cross link- no biteing edges. The hardened square link are the newest invention and seem to work very well.

Diamond pattern chains leave you with alot of tire exposed, and when one of the cross links wears through and breaks there's alot longer piece of chain to do damage to your fender.

Keep in mind chains are supposed to be kept tight, and you should never drive over 30mph with chain, nor drive them on roads that are not ice or snow covered- if you see pavement take em off.

Insta chains are around $2000, are custom installs on many trucks, require an onboard air source to function, and cannot be installed on many smaller (light duty) trucks. tirechain.com has decent prices on all kinds of chain and some good info, www.onspot.com is an auto chain company.
  6. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

OnSpot (or similar) have been used by trucking companies, especially in P&D (local) operations. Found them to be both effective and efficient. The company I used to work for was frugal, but installed them on a couple of hundred tractors. While expensive, they paid for themselves in productivity.

OnSpot provides on-board compressors for no-air trucks.
    "ONSPOTS are designed to fit vehicles from 1/2 ton pickups to class 8 tractor trailers, both with and without air brakes. ONSPOT kits for vehicles without air brakes include a 12 volt air compressor and holding tank."​
  7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i always wondered why ambulances, town trucks, fuel trucks always had chains dangling from the back axle area....now i know...

lol thanks.:redbounce
  8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I got my set 4 years ago and don't know who made them. Most likley overseas.