1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by trickenicke, Dec 5, 2005.

1. trickenicke

trickenicke Junior Member

:realmad: :angry: :gunsfiring: :mad:

I plowed my driveway with my craftsman lawn tractor with chains the other day. It scratched the crap out of my driveway, does anyone know what to do to get rid of scratches on driveways or anything i could use insted of chains on the tires??

Thanks in advance

Nick

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

scratches will get covered with dirt in the spring when you start cutting the grass and you won't really be able to notice them anymore..or you could just seal the driveway every spring

3. trickenicke

well thats good for my driveway but other people although other people may not think that , does anyone know of anything else to get traction? i saw something on ebay and it was like chains but it was rubber or plastic that went across the wheel, so it didnt scratch... would anyone know of anything?

4. dirt digger

rubber or plastic would get torn to shreds after a few wheel spins...i guess it really depends on the weight you have on the tires...more weight on tires and less weight being pushed and you wont have nearly as much wheel spin to tear up the drive.

5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

What model Sears do you own? You might want to go with a snowblower for your tractor instead. Or get a walk behind snowblower. My 30" snowblower came with chains but I never had to use them (wouldn't stay on anyways). Or try plowing often during the storm so snow doesn't build up. Any chance you own a quad?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  6. trickenicke

no quad, just a lawn tractor. i think i might be good without chains but i might need to buy sandbags or bricks... thanks guys:salute:

7. dgresetar

dgresetar Junior Member

ag tires

you may be able to find ag tires for your tractor. may take some looking but i've got a craftman and found some at my local TSC. you would be surprized how much your traction will improve. if you find them try getting them filled with calcium cloride. the added weight will help. don't cut the grass with them on,rip the lawn to pieces. good like!

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where you at? I'll swing by this spring and seal-coat it for you. lol:waving:

9. trickenicke

tires

:waving: would the ag tires be the best tires or are there better ones for traction? thanks :help:

10. dirt digger

AG V-tread; can't beat'em

11. trickenicke

12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Sooooo my rubber tire cannot get traction, Idea !!!! I will strap some pieces of rubber on my rubber to get traction. Sorry to be a non believer but if someone has real world experience with those working that would be good info.

13. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

You need more weight behind the drive wheels. The counter weights used when a snowthower is added about 230# will give you some mass for pushing. Windshield fluid can be put in the drive tires.

14. trickenicke

well do u know where i could get the v tread tires and/or what would work best for weight in the back... someone suggested weight in the front, but i have a stamped contreat driveway so if i did that my driveway and tractor would get beat:help:

15. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

V thread very good in mud and OK in deep snow but VERY poor on hard pack and ice. Since tires are on hard pack behind the plow blade I would not expect much improvement with the V thread.

16. dirt digger

do the tires yourself...tires are pretty simple to install, people just make them out to be hard...2 tire irons and 20 mins work you'll have them on. Or if you're not feeling very daring you can take them to any local lawn mower shop and they should be able to mount them for you...I had my front mower tires mounted (because the bead was too thick and i couldn't do it myself) and it was $36.00 to mount both

17. trickenicke

ok but what should i use for weights in the back?:help:

18. Manfre

Manfre Junior Member
    from pa

i used those ruber chains they were ok they didnt really tare up and i got ok traction they didnt rip up my blacktop drive way and i got ok traction what i did for weight on the back was welded a plate to the back and filled it with tube sand bags or bricks and it worked good hope i could help you out

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

those rubber chains will help a bit, added flexible gripping edges always help. They will not be as good as real chains tho.
    Try adding wheel weights - every manufacturer of lawn tractors that sells plows sells them, possbily filling the tires with cal chloride (in addition to weights) and that should do it. AG tires aren;t needed, but newer tires are better than old- you need the sharp edges on the tread to grip the ice- (that's how siping works).

It the chain marks on the drive are from the tires slipping that means you need to take less bite of snow to avoid the slipping- removing the chains will not eliminate the wheel slip caused by too bit a blade of snow.

20. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i plowed last weeks storm, no chains about 8 inches flat driveway no chains. only spins to get going but once you get moving it never slipped again pushing huge piles.

i put the chains on today and tested it out, i diddnt like the bumpy ride and they made the wheels slip on the pavement.

i think you only need them for hills or ice under the snow..otherwise they are useless.

it is all about the weight...wheel weights and 2 tubesands in the middle of the tractor is finee