1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Feb 17, 2010.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I bought some heavy duty chains for my 92 K1500 in the fall so when we get really slippery weather I don't spin all over the place on the hills I live on even in 4wd. They work well but I can't seem to go over 15 mph if I have to travel some place without them banging something. I can't see them hitting anything. Loose links are tied up so they don't flop. I'm wondering if I need a less heavy duty type chain because these things are really heavy duty. Each wheel set is about 25 pounds. Wondering if anybody can suggest something else. Maybe I don't need that heavy duty? I'm at a loss as to what is banging. Can't see anything sticking out.

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

1: Chains only work on GM trucks with stock sized tires AND wheels. Upsized tires and aftermarket wheels, with the wrong offset/backspace, will cause problems.
    2: Make sure the chains are sized for your tire.
    3: If step one and two are okay, then look into a set of cables. They are easy to put on and seem to work pretty well - we use them on our ambulances.

Here is an example website: http://www.tirechain.com/CABLE_MOUNTING_INTRUCTIONS.HTM

3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Chains were ordered for the size tire so they are correct but they are heavy about a quarter inch thick links. I think next year I'll try the cable chains. I don't go far so I don't think I'll wear them out. I just need to stop the spinning back wheels when it's slick.

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Studded snow tires??? Ever try them?

5. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Considering the fact that a set of cable chains will cost me about 60 bucks or so and a set of studded snows to fit that truck will be about 200 each, and the cable chains come off in a couple minutes, I think I'll give the cable chains a try.

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Did they sell you over the road truck chains ????? Maybe ?????

7. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

They were listed as best for snow/ice and plowing. Size was for my vehicle. I'm betting the cable chains is more what I need. For the price I don't have much to lose. That and a little more weight in the bed I should be fine.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's one of the most ridiculous posts of the year.

It depends on the year of the truck, lift, etc. The fronts of the IFS trucks don't have much room, for sure. But guys have run chains on them. And there is plenty of room on the rears for chains on almost any size tire that will fit the front. I have run chains the rear of my 97 with slightly oversize tires. And lots of weight on.

And my 81? No problem at all :D

To the OP -----

Sounds like your chains are not tight enough. After you drive a bit on them, stop and re-tighten them. And use a couple of heavy duty short bungee cords on the outsides to keep them snug. And they may not actually be hitting the truck. If they are, you should be able to see bare metal.

And you are running them on the back, correct?

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Northern tool & equipment also makes a 4-arm chain tightener that works pretty slick and is even easier than bungees.
    Anytime I put chains on, I always delfate the tires and tighten the chains as tight as I can get them. Inflate tires and you will only have to retighten them if it's a new set..............after some use. Of course, having an air compressor helps.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Hey - at least it's only February!

Sorry, I should have specified that it is GM's stance for the 99-07 models that chains are only approved on the front end when the tire and wheel size is stock. For the rear, they require 1.66 inches of clearance to the sides, and 2.5 inches above the tire. So for the front, either 245/75R16 on a 16x6.5, or 265/75R16 on a 16x7 wheel.

11. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I am running them on the back and I got the spring tensioners when I bought them. I did run them a bit, then tightened them up, and tied up the extra hanging links with string so they were tight to the sides also. Thats why I can't figure out why I'm hearing a banging noise at about 15mph. Slower I don't hear it. It sounds like a loose link is hitting something when I get up speed but nothing is dangling. I just won't go over roads other than my driveway for this year and try the cables next season.