1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains or cables on a dually?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dsnowdude, Oct 30, 2004.

1. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Gentlemen,
    I am running an 04 Dodge 1 ton dually 4 door diesel with a 8'6" Blizzard. Right now I have a new pair of all season tires. Will they be good enough to plow with? Has anyone ever put chains or cables on their rear dually wheels? Or, Do I need to break down and get some rear snow tires.
    Your thoughts are appreciated. Yes, this is my first year.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is this truck 4x4?

3. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

yes, i forgot to mention that

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You shouldn't need either one. If it's 4x4, you will be fine. :waving:

5. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear that. I was reading in some older threads that some guys in real bad conditions were putting chains on the outside tires and having good success.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 3500 and it has been great. With good tires it should go almost anywhere.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I never ran chains or cables on my 2wd ford dually, filled the bed with a scoop of gravel and away I went pumpkin:

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Big Nate how big was that plow on your Ford. I am thinking of putting a 9'6" Fisher v on my 03 3500 GMC. 2wd

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

C-8 Meyer with pro-wings