1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains on skid loaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tastebeer, Jan 28, 2010.

1. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

I also want to put chains on our Skid Loader, do I put them on all 4 tires? I asked the local dealer, they did not recommend it, but said toput them all the way around so they all grab them same, so one tire does not spin and you tear something up. What is ya'lls thought.

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have never ran them all the way around on a skid.
    Just on the rears.
    Robert

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You can put them an all fours but I wouldn't waste the money. Rears only.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was using my SS in the driveway this past weekend. Had an old set of pickup chains, put them on for fun. Like night and day. They don't fit real well, the cross links are too short. I am going to get a set that fit.

Rear only....

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

X2. Chains on the fronts is overkill.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't chains on all four tires tend to make it 'grab' more rather than 'skid' for turning? Sounds like a recipe for broken drivetrain parts to me.

Based ONLY on that logic, I say rears only. Or even fronts only. But not both.

7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Drive train will be fine... have any off you seen what it does to the black top? Does it do any damage at all? Almost every time our skid can push full lengths it's because the operator has the front tires of the ground slightly... Keep all 4 on the ground and it does great, our bobcat has the "float" setting (I think all bobcats do) where you push your left foot slightly forward and your toe will go down a little more and the pusher box will floats over the pavement without taking the front tires of the ground.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

No, because chains and studded snow tires are illegal here. I've never seen a set get used (with the exception of on atv's for winter offroading)

But, I have seen skid steers with broken drive chains (I think they were Thomas) from being used too aggressively on asphalt... mind you that wasn't for snow removal.

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have never ran my skid on a lot with chains, just on gravel but I am sure It will cause damage. I have marks(hardly noticeable) on my shop floor just from pulling the skid in and out with chains on.
    If you need more traction on concrete or asphalt look into the wolf paw tires.
    Robert

10. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a bobcat s300, I chain all 4 with single spaced square or "D" link chains, this keeps you from bouncing. Use the float like the person said above. It depends on what density snow you are plowing, what grade the hill is you are on, are you plowing to asphalt or concrete. when you turn do it slow, this seams to help on the chain life, the single spaced "D" link chains are $500 a pair, so $1000 for all four...

11. Bill Regehr

Bill Regehr Junior Member

Isn't it easier to put the chains on the front? You can lift the front wheels with the bucket. What is the benefit of putting the chains on the rear?

12. Bill Regehr

Bill Regehr Junior Member

Isn't it easier to put the chains on the front? You can lift the front wheels by putting the bucket down. What is the advantage of rear versus the front?

13. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Chains leave all sorts of marks on blacktop surfaces I would only use them on gravel, nothing else. I own a set of chain for my loader, but ive never used them.